1. Home

Debbie Colgrove

After 35 Plus Years We Did It!

By March 20, 2008

Tee shirt embellished with yo-yos and hand embroideryI spent this past Thanksgiving in the hospital with bacterial pneumonia. The good news is that I was there long enough and I was sick enough to finally quit smoking. My husband was so determined that I should never smoke again that he also managed to quit. We had tried quitting many times without success. I will never tell anyone that kicking the habit is easy... far from it! After managing no smoking for just over 4 months I will say the agony of quitting is well worth it!
One of our goals in quitting was better health... and if any of my gym teachers are reading this they better be prepared for a big shock... we started off slowly but by using our cigarette money for exercise equipment we now have an enviable home gym. We spend a lot of together time working out... and compliments of a friend giving me a gentle nudge we even joined an exercise class at a nearby dance studio. Smoking for 35 years and always avoiding gym class when I was in school does not make it easy to learn to exercise but we are having a blast and feeling SO much better. One of the things I have learned is that drinking water is an absolute essential and I like having my gym shoes so I'm not barefoot. The only hassle is the water bottle spilling in the bag on the way to class... so I designed a bag to meet my needs. This bag has pockets to hold the water bottle upright as well as a pocket for each shoe. It also has an optional small zipped up compartment for carrying the money I need to pay for class, my drivers license and my keys.
It made a great gift for the friend who gave us the gentle nudge to join the class.

Comments

March 20, 2008 at 2:36 pm
(1) Helen Dale says:

Congratulations to you both. I know first hand how hard it is to give up that long term nasty habit. I finally realized it is 95% in your head. The key is staying busy. Hang in there!!!

March 20, 2008 at 5:41 pm
(2) Millie says:

Congrats on quitting. My husband and I quite 2 years ago after about 50 years, so I know it is not easy. Hang in there. More power to you. If not for your health…. then the money. Oh how the fabric stash can grow.

March 20, 2008 at 6:17 pm
(3) Julie says:

Congrats to you both on quitting, and especially for using the money saved for exercise equipment. I’ve never smoked, but am in awe of your exercise. About all the exercise I get is “push-aways”.

March 20, 2008 at 6:36 pm
(4) Kim Parks says:

Great, I quit smoking on Jan. 4, 2008, I’m a few pounds heavier but I feel 100% better and I’m sure you do to….

March 20, 2008 at 10:43 pm
(5) Biddy says:

Good for you on quiting. Now how about an article on how you design bags for different purposes. How do you figure out how much fabric you will need and what is the order of the steps that you go through?

March 21, 2008 at 12:22 am
(6) EärwenElórë says:

CONGRATS!!! my mom’s been trying now for ages. NO doubt everything happens for a reason and when it has to happen.

Love the bag, I also exercise for fun and health and yeah! it does feel great ;D
I just started sewing as a hobbie, not just the fallen button & yeah! its great too jajaja [n_n] your blog helps a LOT(really enthusiastic ’bout it)

A big hug for you two, its a marvelous success :D

March 21, 2008 at 1:33 am
(7) Lizzy says:

I am quitting the exact same way. Its only been 2 weeks for me and I am still fighting off the pneumonia. I actually tried to smoke last week and physically could not do it because of the pneumonia. So congrats on making it! The home gym was a great idea. I am struggling but determined. I just realized today how bad my car smells. EWWW.

March 21, 2008 at 2:19 am
(8) Shan says:

So glad you are well and getting… weller! It IS hard to quit smoking, but not too hard to choose life over death. Your husband must really really want you around for the long haul! Thank you for your blog and endless inspiration.

March 21, 2008 at 9:52 am
(9) Nancy Anthony says:

Congratulations!!!!
Even tho my e-mail says “sewgood” I’m not such a good sewer. Don’t do enough of it. But life does change and now I live in an apartment. There is no reason I cannot sew some every day. My daughter is furious that I brought all my fabrics with me, so I need to show her that I will use them.
I also do counted cross stitch and have until Nov to finish a Wedding sampler for a young couple in our Church who are getting married Dec 27. Gotta get going.
Have a great day and a wonderful Spring!

March 21, 2008 at 10:09 am
(10) Sewnicely says:

Hey Deb way to go girl. I knew you could join the ranks. I quit cold turkey 15 years ago and am way healthier for it. Congrats my friend.

March 21, 2008 at 11:40 am
(11) Conrad Lawrence says:

Hooray for you both!Pat yourself on the back and thank yourself many times a day. BTW, I’m building 8 sets of scrubs for my daughter. I stack the fabric and cut 4 at a time. Good luck and bless you for quitting!!!

March 21, 2008 at 4:22 pm
(12) NenaSu says:

Congratulations. The first little while is the hardest. I know. I quit (after 20 years of smoking) 15 years ago. That first day I went a bought another pack of cigarettes, just in case. I put it up on top of the refrigerator. It was my talisman of a sort. I finally threw the unopened pack away after two years of sitting on the fridge. I was many times tempted to open it and have a smoke, but I was too stubborn I guess. Anyway, it’s always one day at a time and then if that doesn’t work it’s one hour at a time. Good luck to you and your husband. Just be stubborn enough and refuse to give in. Brenda, NY

March 22, 2008 at 6:39 pm
(13) Judy Menzel says:

What an inspiring story and to have such a supportive husband too! You two deserve all the goodness no smoking and exercise can bring you! Congratulations.

March 26, 2008 at 8:40 pm
(14) Nancy Powell says:

Wonderful news! Sincerest congratulations on quitting smoking! Your illness was a blessing in disguise.
Keep it up!

March 27, 2008 at 8:03 am
(15) Gloria says:

I may not have known that you smoked but am never the less very happy to see you make such a wonderful change… My dad passed away at home from lung cancer last year… he had been a life long smoker in spite of all his health problems and being on oxygen! I know he wanted to quit but just never could… You may never know how much this has benefited you… Congrats! Keep on breathing healthy!

March 29, 2008 at 6:37 pm
(16) Barb Spencer says:

Congrats on stopping smoking. I should put my daughter in the hospital! She has pneumonia/bronchitis yearly, but won’t give up her cigarettes!

April 6, 2008 at 9:16 am
(17) Cathy Holman says:

Congrat’s on your success. I stopped yearss ago and it was one of the best things I have ever done. Keep up the great effort and slowly your life will become your own.
Also I must say about your work on the articles. They are great, fantastic fabulous, I can go on.
Thank you.