1. Home

Debbie Colgrove

Fabric Bowls and More

By January 10, 2010

A couple of years ago I got totally caught up in making fabric bowls, using the directions in Fast, Fun & Easy Fabric Bowls by Linda Johansen . I know my granddad loved the Christmas Fabric Bowl I sent him with Christmas Cookies and I tried to find time this past Christmas to make him a new fabric bowl but didn't achieve my goal. I'm now thinking of making him a different type that is shown on Craft Stylish for his dresser top. I know I should make one for the top of my husbands dresser for all the "treasures" he takes out of his pockets at night. The Craft Stylish bowls actually look like they would be durable enough to take the nuts, bolts and screws it would have to hold at the end of a day. I think I would use cotton cording rather than rope though so the machine would penetrate the strands easily.

Comments

January 15, 2010 at 4:50 pm
(1) kathy condon says:

Debbie, I have had that book of linda johanson since it came out, but do you believe that I’m a big chicken to try it? I have made winter coats, bags, clothes, you name it, but I’m chicken to try the fabric bowls and I’m not really sure why. Have you ever felt that way about any of your projects? Kathy

January 16, 2010 at 10:41 am
(2) Monica Cope says:

I made bowls from the CraftStylish site. They were super easy, came out great and are VERY sturdy! Fun, fun project!

January 17, 2010 at 10:16 am
(3) Sharry says:

A question: do you use a straight stitch or a zigzag?

January 17, 2010 at 11:03 am
(4) sewing says:

A question: do you use a straight stitch or a zigzag?
On where?

January 17, 2010 at 7:06 pm
(5) Monica Cope says:

Zig zag. I widened mine just a bit to secure things better. This project is very forgiving. Imperfections are barely noticeable. Have fun!

January 19, 2010 at 10:18 am
(6) sewing says:

Sure I’ve done a hesitation waltz on MANY sewing projects… and other projects but I can usually talk my self into giving it a whirl… I usually force myself to clean my sewing area first so I have clean area to start a new project that I’m not sure what I will be doing… less clutter underfoot is also less clutter for the mind in my world.

January 23, 2010 at 6:00 pm
(7) autsom says:

I enjoy the basket making instructions. Will try it. Thanks to all those who think its hard. I did until I read other comments. I gave me courage. Thanks to all

September 13, 2011 at 12:11 am
(8) Rick says:

Enjoy making the bowls. I have made about 5. I am looking for advice on a sewing machine that is powerful enough to sew the zig zag stitches. This part of making the basket seems like it is difficult for a machine to do. I am wondering if an industrial zig zag might be the answer. My straight stitch Janome 1600 QC does great covering the clothesline with fabric.

Thanks

September 13, 2011 at 8:46 am
(9) sewing says:

If the machine sews a zigzag it can sew the satin stitch. Have you changed the needles or are you using an appropriate sewing machine needle? http://sewing.about.com/od/sewingmachineindex/ig/Sewing-Machine-Needles/index.htm has needle information