1. Home

Debbie Colgrove

Heads Up for Fire Hazard

By September 3, 2010

I've read about baked potato sacks and have always thought that it just didn't add up... turns out I was right.   All the directions out there that use pre-quilted fabric, embroidery, polyester... even cotton batting are a fire hazard. If you have made, or plan on making baked potato sacks for gift giving please be sure to read this article.

The Warm Company has created a new "Warm Tater" batting just for this purpose. I did not find this batting locally or at Joann's.com but it's a new product. I'm sure as word of the product spreads so will the availability of the product. It may even be a worthy investment for those quilts that I read about on Facebook being warmed in microwaves .. not that I am endorsing warming a blanket of any form in a microwave. If warming all fabrics was a safe proposition we wouldn't have burn tests to find the content of fabric... we wouldn't use flames to singe the ends of webbing strips when we make bags... Bottom line... think twice before you heat up fabrics with intense heat sources.

Comments

September 7, 2010 at 6:22 pm
(1) sandi says:

or you could just wrap the potatoes in a dish towel and not have to worry about any of this. ha.

September 7, 2010 at 6:23 pm
(2) sandi says:

oh – and thank you for posting this article!

September 10, 2010 at 9:16 am
(3) Faye Mcghee says:

I have made these before. I used cotton flannel for the batting. I used polyester thread. After using the bag several times, the thread burned . There was no flame. After that, I just used paper towel. Thanks for sharing this tip.

September 10, 2010 at 9:48 am
(4) judi says:

I never understood the premise behind this anyway. Seemed a waste of time and materials. I cook my potatoes in my microwave as do most people I know. And they do just fine. Nevertheless, it is good to point out for those who do.

September 10, 2010 at 10:29 am
(5) Tracy Holzman says:

Using the fire retardant batting would be great for another of your projects, the scented hot pad!

September 10, 2010 at 6:11 pm
(6) Lois says:

Thanks..made a couple and made sure it was all 100% cotton material and thread. I gave one to my mother and unfortunately, it caught on fire….think I will wait to get some of the new batting and try again

September 10, 2010 at 9:13 pm
(7) Cheryl says:

Thank you so much. I had NO IDEA these were being produced. BAD IDEA I think. Fabric and thread and batting and embellishments would need to be THOROUGHLY tested to be certain they were heat-PROOF. The ‘dummy’ mentality would have to be taken into consideration also :( I have been baking potatoes in the microwave AND oven for years..no problems .. A FABRIC bag is NOT needed. Stay safe…. A house fire is NOT a good idea :( I Facebooked this… THANK YOU :)

September 11, 2010 at 8:49 am
(8) Debbie Colgrove says:

Glad the information is helpful. I hadn’t made a bag for the reasons everyone talks about but they have been a big topic for a while so I had thought about making one just to see if they do make a difference… I hadn’t thought to share it on facebook but I just did too.