1. Home

Debbie Colgrove

Wal-Mart Fabric News

By April 2, 2012

Many people have commented that Wal-Mart is bringing fabric back to the store near them. This past week I was in the Wal-Mart in Kingston New York. It was one of the first Wal-Marts in our area and it had a delectable fabric department with employees that knew about sewing and had the capability to make you feel like you were visiting an old friend while you shopped for fabric.  The Hudson Wal-Mart had the same charm until the built a new store and removed the fabric department. The Kingston Wal-Mart survived the "remove all fabric" directive from the higher-ups, but the fabric department did take a blow in size and variety.

The spectacular news is that the Kingston store is not only keeping the fabric department, they will be bringing back the original size and variety that used to be offered in that store.

The Wal-Mart nearest to me only has pre-cut flat folds and very limited sewing notions. I bought a piece of fabric there once... but never again once I discovered the bad quality and I never go there when I need a sewing notion because they probably won't have what I need. What I find odd is that the only Wal-Mart in my area that is planning on restoring a full fabric department is almost across the street from a Joanns Fabric and Crafts store. I can keep wishing for a Hobby Lobby, Joann's or Michaels Crafts but I don't see it happening so I'm thinking that it's time to write to Wal-Mart again to ask for them to bring back the fabric department that we had before they built a "new larger, improved store".

Let's know about your local Wal-Mart fabric status in the comments.

Comments

April 3, 2012 at 12:29 pm
(1) Jill says:

Hi — the Walmart in Cromwell, CT, has a great sewing department, and I do see it has improved some in the last few months. However, one town over is another Walmart that has next to nothing. No fabrics at all, no notions to speak of, and very little in the way of crafts. I’ve searched high and low for a beige/tan jean zipper and unless I order one on the internet, none of the shops around me carry them. Very frustrating.

April 3, 2012 at 7:51 pm
(2) Kristin says:

Our WalMart in New Hudson,Michigan, has a very limited sewing department. They do have some notions and the fabric they have is a good price. It is so small that you have to ring a bell (and hope) for service.

April 6, 2012 at 6:44 am
(3) Helen says:

The Wal Mart in Wilmington,Ohio is starting too greatly improve the fabric and notions at first it was that pre package fabric but in the last three months they have added lots of nice material,the selection is not as good as before they remolded the store but it’s getting better and also a lot more expensive than before. No sign of any inexpensive 1.00 and 2.00 bargains like before but I guess I should be grateful that they are carrying any fabrics at all,it was over an hours drive to the nearest fabric store the last year or so and with the price of gas I hope the increase in prices on fabric won’t be so bad if one doesn’t have to drive as far.

April 6, 2012 at 6:53 am
(4) Robbie says:

I recently moved to a more populated area and was excited to think maybe their walmart would have a fabric dept. No luck and their craft dept. is pitiful. I really miss those good walmart fabric depts.. Maybe someday…..

April 6, 2012 at 7:30 am
(5) Dori says:

I now live in Laurens Sc. The fabric at walmart is cheap and mostly geared to quilters. WE ARE NOT ALL QUILTERS. And there is never anyone around to wait on you. They need some one who can demonstrate machines and can explain things people need to know . There are a lot of us out here that could fix that dept. There is no place close to buy fabric and we need a more educated dept at walmart.

April 6, 2012 at 7:37 am
(6) Crystal says:

I live in a small town and half to drive an hr n half one way to get to stores. A few walmarts here are stocked w everything but then others have nothing. I usually just go to Jo Ann’s they have a lot more choices and accept competitors coupons. U know those 40-50% off coupons from hobby lobby n michaels that’s n every sun paper. Yep I can use those at Jo Ann’s and get the material I need due to their large selection. Can’t get that at Walmart

April 6, 2012 at 7:43 am
(7) Courtenay says:

The 2 WalMarts near me, Frankfort KY and Lexington KY have both expanded their fabric areas. They are carrying bolts of material again and some notions, patterns and craft items but not as much as before. Still this is a great improvement.

April 6, 2012 at 8:13 am
(8) Connie says:

I live in Campbellsville, KY and they use to have the most fab fabric dept. now all we have is no fabric and i have to drive 45 min to get to a Hancock Fabric store. (which i can get some good bargains on the remnant and discount rack)
Please bring the walmart fabric dept back in all stores. You would see many happy women and men who sew going around smiling.

April 6, 2012 at 8:14 am
(9) Doris says:

Our JoAnn store went out here in Logansport, Indiana. Our new Super Walmart did away with their fabric department, which in the old store they had a terrific fabric department. Now since no more Jo Ann, the new super Walmart has brought back some fabric and notions but nothing like the old store. I hope they restore the wonderful fabric department they had before moving into the new bigger store. They had a great business in that department as well. It’s really frustrating to have to drive 20 miles or more to buy fabric. So, Logansport Indiana Walmart, bring it all back, the wonderful variety of fabrics and notions, patterns, thread, the whole business.

April 6, 2012 at 8:18 am
(10) Peggie says:

The Walmart by us in Lampasas, TX is bringing in a bigger fabric department. We never lost it, but this is going bigger. Having HObby Lobby stores here is nice, just none are close. You will love it if they expand more north. Michaels does not sell fabric anywhere I have seen so they will not help you.

April 6, 2012 at 8:26 am
(11) LT says:

Why do you find it odd that WalMart would put in a fabric dept. where there are already stores providing that? If there is a business there, then there is a market to take. It is what they do.

April 6, 2012 at 8:32 am
(12) Nancy Anthony says:

Here, in PA, just north of Phila, One Wal-mart closed for about a year, then reopened as a Super-Walmart. Like you, I found precut pieces that might be useful for making a pillow, but I didn’t see anything that got me excited. The other Wal-mart in our area closed and another built not very far away. Since I don’t go to that one very often, I don’t know the fabric status. When it first opened, I spoke to a greeter and we noted tha many school teachers bought the $ a yard fabric for their sewing classes. Now its gone and anything else would be too expensive. (Multiply $2 by 30).

Nancy

April 6, 2012 at 8:35 am
(13) mumzer says:

If you go to Kingston you have Joann then across the street you have Walmart and BEHIND Walmart is Michaels.
As a new quilter I was so excited when I walked in the door then said to myself “OMG what have I gotten myself into?.should have read more,should have checked with forum ladies more”.
Michaels had young people who didn’t know anything about quilting. Joanns had one young man at register and one lady cutting and folding orders. She was really busy and didn’t have much time for a newbie. Walmart had to people who did alot of quilting and new so much and were so helpful. I also found a little shop in Redhook NY and the lady was also helpful. She has classes ! I think it will be nice to be able to show and tell and ask questions Will have to go back.

April 6, 2012 at 8:52 am
(14) Charlie says:

Our walmarts in the area south of Boston, MA took away all their by-the-yard fabrics (many of a poor quality) and eventually brought back some of the precut packages. (totes, scrubs, 3 yard cuts, fat 1/4′s and fat 1/8ths etc). Someone earlier commented that many of the by-the-yard fabrics were mostly for quilters. I got a chuckle out of that because many quilters would not use them because the colors and structure would not hold up in a quilt. The only Walmart around me that has even the pre-cuts is one near a Jo-Anns. Seems to me that a better marketing strategy would be to market items where the demand would be greater. Hope we can make a difference by sharing our concerns. Are you listening #Walmart?

April 6, 2012 at 8:54 am
(15) Carol says:

The Super Walmart closest to me in Lakewood, WA has only pre-cut fabrics. The store in Lacey, WA has a decent sized fabric department, however the quality of the fabrics is mediocre at best. They only carry Coats thread and are often out of sewing notions so I rarely go there for my sewing needs.

April 6, 2012 at 8:54 am
(16) Mary says:

Our small town of Moncks Corner, S.C., had a wonderful fabric department with knowledgeable employees….but when they built the “Super” WalMart, they downsized. There was still fabric, and “cutters” in the department. They had a fair amount of fabric, but it was about a third the size of before. We visit Waynesville, N.C., in the summer, and they were closing out the fabric department when they “Super-sized” across town. That gave me the clue that our store was going to do the same thing. Sure enough, in a couple of months they were having a 1/2 off sale of fabric. Even some of the employees in the store weren’t aware of it. No sign up in the Fabric Dept. The word spread around the area pretty quickly, and within a week everything was gone. Right now we have a 6-foot section with some notions…that’s it. Have rumors that we’re enlarging, but nothing more.

We have a store about 30 minutes away that has fabrics, notions, patterns, etc., but nothing like what we had before in all the WalMart stores.

April 6, 2012 at 9:31 am
(17) Judierudie says:

The Merritt Island, FL store always had fabric but small area and the bolts were stacked up so you could hardly get to them. But word has it that they are expanding. The hardest things to find are zippers and bias tapes-many out of stock.

April 6, 2012 at 9:36 am
(18) Judierudie says:

I wonder why the ready made clothing today seems to be mostly lovely knits-but go to the fabric stores and it is hard to find fun and colorfull knits.

April 6, 2012 at 10:00 am
(19) Georgia says:

What fabric department? The Wal-Mart doesn’t even carry flat folds, which I would never purchase anyway. I was told by a clerk the manager says he won’t put fabric back in his store. We are in Southern TN and have to travel a long distance, 45 miles, to get to Hancock Fabric or JoAnns. So Wal Mart you are missing out on a lot of business from a lot of people. I don’t shop there for anything, even moved the prescriptions to another source.

April 6, 2012 at 10:08 am
(20) Susie says:

I live up in Canada, and the WalMarts that are within 1-1/2 hour’s drive have VERY little fabric OR sewing notions. I also have to drive 1 to 1-1/2 hours to get to ANY type of DIY craft stores.

Do they think that no one wants to do sewing/crafts any more? Our local $ store has more craft supplies than they do (but don’t carry any fabric)!! It’s a shame that WalMart doesn’t care more about their customers needs. When they were selling out of their fabric up here, the clerk actually told me that they had to carry only the bigger items–like electronics–that brought in more money. It’s disgusting that they only care about the almighty dollar–it’s not about what people want/need!

April 6, 2012 at 10:09 am
(21) Shrie Robinson says:

Hi.
I live near Homewoods,IL. where there is a fabric center in the local Walmart. They have a good selection of fabric and the section is kept organized and tidy. They also have a nice selection of notion, but, each time I go to purchase fabric they rarely have a associate there to help you. I went to Walmart recently to purchase some fabric and I had to hunt for the sales associate. I gave up and went down the street to JO-Ann fabric and I did not have that ordeal at Jo-ann’s.. Well , if that is how they operate in Homewood, they shouldn’t have a fabric center at all.

April 6, 2012 at 10:17 am
(22) dee fox says:

I have to confess I never, ever used to buy fabric from wal-mart. Yes call me a fabric snob but the quality was awful until a few years ago I had a friend convince me to give them a shot. The walmart in calif I tried was awful, the sales people were from other depts & didn’t know anything about fabric . So once again wal-mart fabric was off my list. Then upon moving to Cedar City Ut I was forced to check out the fabric dept once again, I was pleasantly surprised, the amount of fabric & notions they carry was wonderful for a small town. Yes they still carry the cheaper fabrics but as long as you know your fabric you get what you pay for. I have made friends w/ all 3 of the sales clerks & the dept mgr. The only complaint is they never carry enough fabric for them patterns of the month. Other then that i am very happy w/ my local wal-mart fabric dept.

April 6, 2012 at 10:36 am
(23) Astoria says:

I live in a small town in Missouri. We have one Hancock Fabric Store, and, one privately own sewing shop. The prices are so out of line, for the quality. Wal-Mart did give us a chance to have a choice. I miss the fabric department of Wal-Mart. And, I am should that if it came back, the two other shops would lower their prices. And, us fabric people would be very pleased. If I knew how to contact Wal-Mart and thought it would make a difference, I would write to them.

April 6, 2012 at 10:42 am
(24) Patricia Everhart says:

Tiffin, Ohio got rid of their fabric and sewing notions a couple years ago and I hardly go into Walmart now…I have to travel out of town to get fabric and I get really upset. They should have left well enough alone.

April 6, 2012 at 11:24 am
(25) Jan Dittloff says:

Our Walmart here in Ocala does not have material and we do not have a material place on the North East side of Ocala They would really sell a lot of material and notions . I wish they would bring it back thats in Florida

April 6, 2012 at 11:25 am
(26) Lydia Stevenson says:

Shelton, WA, has a very nice fabric department. It’s a little smaller than it used to be, but I find good quality fabric at very reasonable prices and selection. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. The notions availability is good, too. the crafts section is quite large and has a huge variety of crafts: knitting, beading, painting, floral, kid crafts, etc. We are fortunate.

April 6, 2012 at 11:47 am
(27) Karen Kimmerly says:

Another Canadian here. Our local Walmart in Richmond Hill used to have a very good fabric and crafts department. Then they renovated the store so it is now half groceries. No fabrics anymore (actually, they got rid of those earlier), very few craft supplies, almost no notions. About the same time the 3 closest Fabriclands closed. Now the best way to find fabric and notions is to make a trip to the old garment district in Toronto. Several fabric and notions stores all in one square block area.

April 6, 2012 at 11:47 am
(28) Pat says:

Our Wal-Mart in Temecula, California had downsized their fabric department but now it’s back in full force. Everything they had before!

April 6, 2012 at 11:55 am
(29) cher says:

yes it’s returned but 1/2 the size of original. with quilt shop charging 2 x as much, quilting and crafts will cotinue to be costly. unless they don’t want to compete

April 6, 2012 at 12:19 pm
(30) laurette brissett says:

Our Walmart has not had fabric in ages and it is located in the same plaza as a crappy Jo-ann’s. Returning fabric would make a complete shopping experience for all the customers in a family and for the individual.
They have no competition nearby (HobbyLobby/Michaels etc). Seabrook,N.H. could use a boost. Just goes to show again they don’t listen to the customer…………

April 6, 2012 at 1:08 pm
(31) Renee says:

Renee…The Wal-Mart in Macomb Twp, Michigan sewing dept has a pretty good selection for sewing, although being Jo-Anns is closer to me and I can use coupons I seem to go there more. While spending sometime in Las Vegas, Nevada I found out there are not very many Jo-Ann stores, and the few they do have are far and few between, they say they had closed alot of them there, although Wal-Mart stores are very plentyful in Nevada and I did find one of them with a fairly good size sewing dept. with a pretty good selection of material and sewing notions etc.
Once again I just love getting your e-mail, funny it seems when I have a question or another project I need to start your e-mail comes just on time!! The information on dust mites was so very helpful, I will be washing and putting my fabric in containers. Thanks again…and keep the ideas coming!

April 6, 2012 at 1:10 pm
(32) Sandy Gray says:

Hi, I live in Lakeland, Florida. Our Walmart did bring back the fabric department, not much to begin with, but they seem to be expanding on what they are carrying. You just have to be careful about the quality and choose carefully. But they have good prices compared to JoAnn’s, which seems to increase their prices on a regular basis now. I shop both places and pick the best quality for my money.I did go online and write to Walmart when I heard they were taking out all fabric departments in all stores, so I geuss they did listen! They just need alot more variety and good quality now.

April 6, 2012 at 1:10 pm
(33) Sandy Gray says:

April 6, 2012 at 1:11 pm
(34) Lenora says:

Cocoa,Florida is suppose to be getting more new fabric in and enlarging the notion choices but the old fabric went on sale and was gone before I could stock up.I am looking forward to the new fabric and hope it is reasonable!I am not sure what other fabric stores may be close.

April 6, 2012 at 1:16 pm
(35) Judy says:

Please visit your local independently owned fabric stores. We need you coming from an owner of a independently owned garden center. If consumers do not shop ‘local” and support small business we will all be gone soon very soon. Remember that Wal.Mart does not help the local economy like your small businesses do. Quality is much better too in the small business world. We really try to keep prices competitive and fair.

April 6, 2012 at 1:40 pm
(36) Yvonne McMahan says:

Although many stores in nearby towns have removed their fabric departments altogether, the 2 Wal-Marts with a Woodstock, Georgia address have retained their fabric departments and provide cottons, fleeces, trims, etc. Their zipper selection is strangely lacking. For an excellent selection of fabrics, the Wal-Mart in little Fort Oglethorpe. Georgia gets my vote. You just never know…

April 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm
(37) patp. says:

I live in central Indiana and am in easy shopping distance of 7 Wal-marts, ranging from 13 miles down the road to an hour and 10 min travel time. Fortunately for 3 of these stores there is a Joanns very close by,as there fabric/craft departments are beyond useless. But there are 2 that are outstanding. Yes they do carry some low quality fabric but don’t you expect some sort of flaw for $1.50 a yard,I know I do.But overall I make a beeline for the back corner as soon as I hit the front door! I’ve got some astounding deals in this happy place but like anywhere else I watch the prices because contrary to advertising they can and are beat on a regular basis.Sometimes by quite a bit but usually not by enough to cover the gas and or shipping costs.All I know is I am extremely glad they are there,I am a frequent shopper and will continue to be

April 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm
(38) Zita Bishop says:

HI,,,I live in Southern Ontario, and the when the Wal Mart in our town supersized, they also downsized the fabric department, but we are fortunate to have a great fabric store here called Fabricland. It used to be a roller alley, so it’s plenty big. It’s very clean and everything is displayed nicely, and about a third of the store is dedcated to drapery.
They have terrific sales. At times they have a buy one meter, and get two free. There’s a lot to choose from, but one thing they dont have a lot of is fancy laces.
For you ladies who live close to the Niagara Falls or Buffalo boarder, come and have a look. It’s only about a 30-40 minute drive to Welland (Douglas St.) from either boarder. I’m sure you’ll be impressed.
Zita

April 6, 2012 at 4:12 pm
(39) Deb U. says:

I love that our walmart has a fabric department. They don’t always have what I need but in most cases they get me by when my favorite quilting store is closed. They have patterns and a variety of different kinds of fabric and pretty good notions. To agree with the article the fabric quality is bad. You really have to watch when they cut. But for simple projects with the grandkids and misc. stuff they do in a pinch. For projects that you want to be nice, definately buy your fabric somewhere else.

Deb, in Wyoming

April 6, 2012 at 6:03 pm
(40) Margaret says:

We have two supercenters in our town of just over 35, 000 people. Originally both of our walmarts had an extensive craft/fabric department, but during a remodel at one of the closer stores to my house they removed the fabrics and nearly annihilated the craft department all together. Yet, the other walmart kept theres and said that theirs would be removed too. However, it was said they would bring it back if there were enough requests and apparently there were, because it is now supposed to come back with the next remodel and the other store is no longer removing it. Unfortunately since it is a newer store and has already accommodated a remodel, it will be years yet. So I must travel across town. Still, you should keep bugging them. They will fold!!

April 6, 2012 at 6:42 pm
(41) Beth J says:

We just moved to Jamestown NY a much bigger town than where we were from. I was so excited that I would have JoAnne’s, Micheal’s and Walmart closer to me than having to drive 2-4hours away but the Walmart here (like I’ve read in other comments) never has anyone around in the fabric department and when there is – they have no idea what I am talking about.
I was also disappointed that our JoAnne’s does NOT offer any sort of classes. Haven’t really checked out Micheal’s yet but am planning a trip there shortly.

April 6, 2012 at 7:56 pm
(42) Connie says:

I live in New Haven, mo. There is a walmart super center in Washington, Mo. and they only have a few sewing notions and no fabric at all. But in Owensville, Mo. Walmart , they do have fabric and cut you some yards off of bolts of fabric. But it is about 40 miles away , from where I live. Walmart has not been fair to all of us quilters , crafters, and women who like to make their clothes and household decorations. I would say, they make enough money, that they could have fabrics in all their stores and it wouldn’t hurt their pocket books any. And it would make all of us very happy and we wouldn’t have to pay a fortune in gas money, to go miles away, to buy our fabric.

April 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm
(43) Diana says:

Central City, Ky. doesn’t even have thread nor fabric. I dislike their craft area. Miss the old way. My son lives near Terre Haute, In. & that is were I can still get fabric.

April 6, 2012 at 8:42 pm
(44) Linda Henderson says:

Our store in Amelia has not made an effort as far as I can see to bring back the fabric or good yarn supply so I go to Hobby Lobby in Eastgate
Shopping Center Or JoAnns and get what I need. I have gone to the WalMart in Eastgate For material, but Hobby Lobby seems to have the best supply.

April 6, 2012 at 8:45 pm
(45) grannynannyjo says:

Our WalMart has a good line of fabric. They recently got in a bunch of fabrics from somewhere else. We have one of the larger fabric and crafts departments in Mid Missouri. Someone told me that some of the Walton family purchased JoAnns Fabrics. Anyone know whether that is true or not. That could either help our store prices or hurt them. Should help the quality if true.

April 6, 2012 at 10:27 pm
(46) Lebanon Rebecca says:

Word from the Lebanon, OH Super Wal Mart is that their fabric department will be returning with the renovation of the store. I asked a few other employees (especially at the Service Desk) if they could confirm this. No one seemed sure. I will be anxious to see what happens over the next few months.

April 6, 2012 at 11:43 pm
(47) Karolyn says:

Newark,NY Walmart in the Fingerlakes

had a nice size fabric department . They made it into a bigger store and took out the fabric. Now they have no fabric . and I couldn’t find any notions. just mabe 2 bags of batting I can’t believe they took everything out.
I have to find my stuff in yard sales. there are no fabric stores close by

April 6, 2012 at 11:50 pm
(48) Ruth says:

I also live in a small town in Western PA. The nearest Walmart is 30 minutes away. They used to have a fair fabric department. There also used to be a JoAnn Fabrics close to that Walmart. When the JoAnn store closed, we were told that Walmart was going to keep their fabric dept, since there was nothing else around. They lied………it wasn’t long and they had completely done away with the fabric; they still had a small notions wall. Then they totally rearranged the store and put in those 2 yard fabric packages, some quilter’s fat quarters, and have some, but not nearly enough, notions. The buttons and zippers are a joke. The thread is skimpy at best. The closest JoAnn’s for me is an hour away and I have four to choose from–four different directions. I go to them as often as I can manage it. I’ve heard the fabric is coming back to Walmart, but as yet I see no sign of it. I think I’ll believe it when I see it.

April 7, 2012 at 12:14 am
(49) sue says:

Our Walmarts gutted the fabric department in Longview, WA,,, they did bring a little back but like a lot of others have said, not much variety, mostly directed toward quilters, but I’d have to say the same about all the Walmart stores here and in St. Helens, OR…. since they have pushed in the grocery department, all the other departments have suffered, especially crafts, sewing, drug store products and also the service they always used to tout…. it’s GONE…..

April 7, 2012 at 12:18 am
(50) Carol says:

texting must be ruining people’s spelling ability. I can’t take reading these comments. People do not know how to spell anymore. Don’t bother to leave comments if you can’t express yourself. You’re embarrassing yourself.

April 7, 2012 at 12:49 am
(51) Dee says:

Our Walmart here in So. East Pa. has no fabrics at all. A few notions.
Joann and Michaels is 50 miles away. Come on Walmart-bring back our fabric.

April 7, 2012 at 10:40 am
(52) Norma says:

Mt Pleasant Pa Wal-Mart has fabric. Already measured into 2 yd packages. What a bummer.

Latrobe Pa Wal-mart has a good variety of fabric on the bolt but there is never a clerk to cut the fabric for you so what good is it?

April 7, 2012 at 11:12 am
(53) Sharon F says:

We have Walmart store but it has never handled fabric. The only fabric available in our town is the local Ben Franklin store, which handles mostly cottons for quilting. We cannot buy fabric to make a nice dress in this town. The closest is 30 to 60 miles from here. I would love to see Walmart handle fabric.

April 7, 2012 at 11:22 am
(54) Bar says:

Fabric stores and dept.s are going the way of the dinos.In Prov.there were big fabric shops that were in business for years.Now gone.So Jo-Ann Fabrics gets the overflow.Walmart fabrics were terrible.All fabric depts.in this area are done with bolts.Just junk folded cottons and notions.Fabric has to be “felt” to get a sewers attention.We, as sewers, want/need to feel fabrics to purchase.Mail order does not do it. Sample books are too expensive for most of us.What to do?

April 8, 2012 at 10:03 pm
(55) April says:

I live in Orangeburg, South Carolina when Walmart took away the fabric department that left us with no place to shop for fabric or crafts without traveling 35-40miles or more we need something here the only other fabric shop has prices threw the roof and craft supplies are out of the question

April 8, 2012 at 10:08 pm
(56) Nettie says:

I live in a northern British Columbian town. We HAD two great fabric stores in town. Walmart moved into our small town of 12,000 and our two fabric/quilting stores unfortunately shut down. A couple years ago Walmart moved out their fabric and now we are left with no fabric but the pre-cut junk. Our selection of zippers, thread and extras is terrible!!! Need a metal zipper? Ha, good luck! Buttons that aren’t black? Bahahahha! I now have to travel over an hour and a half to the nearest city if I want a Fabric Land or Micheals. *Deep sigh :(

April 9, 2012 at 9:23 am
(57) Vera says:

Many of my favorite knits used to make tops was bought at Walmart,before they stoped selling.

April 9, 2012 at 2:26 pm
(58) Brenda says:

I live in Chehalis, WA and our Walmart has a nice fabric department and I have always been able to find what I have needed in the way of notions. I have not bought fabric there but did buy interfacing for tote bags I am making. We had a lot of cotton fabric donated to us last year so we have a good supply on hand for now. I live in a low cost senior apartment building and get a lot of donations so it all helps. We make things to sell and in turn donate to the needy in our area.

April 9, 2012 at 10:26 pm
(59) Shelia says:

Hi Everyone,
I live in the Northern Kentucky area, and I am lucky to live fairly close to three Wal-Mart stores , two of which have excellent fabric depts. The one in FT. Wright KY, is exceptionally well stocked, but I can tell that a lot of people shop for notions there, for they seem to go pretty fast. The Florence KY, location is very nice as well. They all seem to have a very knowledgeable and friendly staff. They also have a great selection of Butterick value priced clothing and craft patterns. After reading some of the posts from other ladies, I feel extremely blessed that we have three Wal-Mart stores w/fabric depts., a Joanne Fabric, Michaels and a Hobby Lobby.
Keep sewing!

April 10, 2012 at 12:09 am
(60) Cheryl Designs says:

Zanesville Ohio This is the nearest small city to me :) They have a North end Walmart and a South end Walmart. South end TOTALLY closed their fabric dept a couple of years ago :( Yes, they kept about one FOOT of space for some thread/zippers/hem tape/etc…NOTHING else. The North end store kept a decent-sized fabric dept. This always AMAZED me because the North end store had Jo-Anns’ and Hobby Lobby as competition one mile up the street. Last year the South store re-introduced a small fabric dept. YAY!!!! Truthfully, I just drive about 20 miles NORTH to Jo-Anns’ and Hobby Lobby because I KNOW they will have what I NEED. I sew to make a LIVING, RARELY get a chance to sew for pleasure :) I AM grateful for the South fabric dept. . It’s GREAT for the local community. I COUNT on Walmart for novelty-print fabrics. They often carry stock the fabric store does NOT have in stock. I give Walmart a THUMBS UP for LISTENING to their customers..GOOD FOR THEM :) CUSTOMER SERVICE is what it’s all about :) Cheryl :)

April 10, 2012 at 10:32 am
(61) Sheril says:

When Walmart in Gainesville, TX shut down several years ago I emailed WalMart to say what a stupid decision this was. There are 6 schools, numerious 4-H Clubs, extention clubs and the home sewer/crafter that bought fabric there. We had to drive over 30 miles (one way) to get fabric, notions or craft supplies at JoAnns or Hobby Lobby. One of the WalMart stores in Denton now has a nice size fabric dept., but limited pattern selection and notions. Also,there’s not always someone to help you when you need fabric cut.

April 13, 2012 at 9:34 am
(62) Carol says:

We had a new Super Center WalMart open in Jan 2012 in Albany OR. This is a first store for Albany and they fought our city fathers for several years before the store opened…yeah yeah yeah. The fabric dept is small only 2 isles of fabric, a fair craft selection and a minimal notions area. I have purchased a few pieces of fabric thus far. I go to WalMart before JoAnne’s. The JoAnne’s here is not very people friendly unless they are doing a custormer survey and the prices are so high unless you happen to hit a sale or have a coupon. The fabric selection at JoAnne’s for being a fabric store is very minimal too!

April 13, 2012 at 10:46 am
(63) lisa says:

“What I find odd is that the only Wal-Mart in my area that is planning on restoring a full fabric department is almost across the street from a Joanns Fabric and Crafts store. ”
LOL I find that statement odd , WHY would WW do that ? you’re not serious ? of Course they open their Fabric store NEXT to the ONLY other competition !!
WHY would another retailer move into an area that is dominated by Wally world ?
I like CHOICE in shopping.. ww eliminates that .
They move in, undercut the local stores , locals close & where do you \HAVE to shop ? LOL
Cheap Chinese products.
even if it is a sewing machine by the same brand , it is NOT the same. Compare product #s.. one sewing machine manuf. made a deal with WW but admitted the S-M sold in WW was NOT the high quality other stores sold.
For my money I will stick with locals & other chains , whose goal is not to ruin others , but to compliment each other.
Don’t complain when there arent fabic stores within 50 miles of a WW.. & expect simpathy .

April 15, 2012 at 3:34 pm
(64) janet L says:

Wal-Mart here in Brooksville, FL on Cortez Blvd. never closed. It did downsize. It is coming back. I live very close to this store I have used it
for everything from quilts to drapes. The clerks here are knowledgeable
and are only a bell ring away when you need help. Over the past 7 years that I have used this store for fabric I am always very happy. Know your
fabric brands. Not long ago I purchased a couple of yards of VIP fabric for 2.00 a yard. About 3 weeks later I was visiting a well known quilt shop and the same fabric was here at 9.98 per yard same quality same identical fabric. So to all the Wal-Mart nay sayers , I say I like Wal-Mart.

April 15, 2012 at 9:18 pm
(65) Grancat says:

I live near the Walmart in New Philadelphia, Ohio. They used to have a large fabric and craft department! Then they totally removed the fabrics. Then they have now brought fabrics back but only a small selection on bolts. And never an associate there for me anyway. And not sure how good the fabric is yet. But I’m sure I will look closer when I get more time.

But I agree with many of the comments about losing the small shops if we dont’ shop at them. But many I have been to do have higher prices. Fortunately live close to fabric outlets in Amish country.

April 16, 2012 at 3:51 pm
(66) judy says:

I just heard from a walmart employee that all or most stores are going to be getting fabric back. 2 of them in our area are being remodeled to acomadate(sp) more fabric. YEA!

April 16, 2012 at 6:17 pm
(67) YShaw says:

I live in the Dallas area. Found 1 store with a small fabric dept in Lewsville. How can we get a listing of all the Walmarts that have fabric departments and/or ones that will be returning. My store in Carrollton eliminated the fabric dept.

April 16, 2012 at 6:59 pm
(68) Usha says:

I live in Plano, TX, and was really sad when they removed the fabric section from our nearby Walmart locations! I would love it if they bring it back! I would shop more often at Walmart in that case :-)

May 1, 2012 at 9:47 am
(69) Adriana says:

I was thrilled to find fabric departments in Walmart stores in Ellijay, Georgia and Jasper, Georgia.

I would love to know if any of the Atlanta stores have a fabric department.

May 2, 2012 at 7:17 pm
(70) Judie says:

Stopped at Walmart in Cocoa Fl. They have expanded the fabric area and have much more to offer. Yea!

June 16, 2012 at 11:06 am
(71) Sheila says:

Lampasas, TX…..wonderful fabric department…has a quilt shop feeling with really nice sewing folks….I drive 30 miles to get there…but worth it!

P.S. but then I drive 30 miles to get to anything

June 19, 2012 at 3:04 pm
(72) Mary says:

I used to like going to my local Walmart in Saint Cloud, Florida. Now it is like pulling teeth for me to go there. Wal-Mart doesn’t have any incentive for me to go there. Before when the fabric department was there I could wait to go to the store. Now I am lucky if they have the color of thread I need or even a zipper. I think the one side of the isle has sewing machine, notions, jewelry makings, and ribbons. The other side has puff paint and the like, yarn, and other little things. I don’t know why they decided to utilize the fabric department space to other things. I sure do miss the fabric department and everything else it had to offer. That fabric and craft department was my only avenue for me. Saint Cloud doesn’t have a mall, no craft stores, or no fabric or quilt stores, If I want any craft items I have to travel twenty-two miles to Joann’s. With the price of gas now days, the visits to Joann’s have become few and far between. I sure hope the fabric department is restored back to our store. I know there will a lot of happy customers. I would even work in that department!

July 5, 2012 at 5:56 am
(73) Alexa says:

The Walmart stores in Mt. Prospect & Arlington Heights, Illinois, did not bring back their full fledged fabric dept. They both have simple notions & carded 2 yard cuts in hideous designs. When I shop, I always check out the ‘sewing’ isle with hope that something has changed lol Recently, I noticed that the carded fabric went up a couple of bucks in price too. I asked the managers at both stores if they were bringing back the old fabric dept., bolts and all, and they had no idea. I used to pick up some decent fabrics at the Mt. Prospect store & their notions were much cheaper than JoAnn’s too. I wish our Walmart would bring bolted fabrics back. I would have more of a reason to shop there.

July 28, 2012 at 4:55 pm
(74) Gloria Boyett says:

As a long time customer, and I do mean a long time over fourty years, I now jkust get angry the moment I walk into your store. What “so called exective” made the decision to remove fabric from the majority of your stores? When I first became a Walmart costumer, Manhattan, Ks, I was primarily going to your store the fabric as it was less expensive that fabric shops and just as nice! That was in 1967. As both Walmart,and my self began to grow, and move to the east coast area , Walmart became my weekly stop for groceries, etc.etc. If I couldn’t get it at Walmart, then I just didn’t need it! And after getting what I need for the coming week, I rewarded myself by going to the fabric department. Even my children enjoyed going (I have all daughters) because it meant somebody was going to get a new dress, ect. with the left over household money! Today. here in the Triad area of NC, no fabric in your stores. Hey Walmart has become another K-Mart, Target, etc.,so why not go to the store that’s the easiest to get to. If there’s no loyality to your LOL customers, why should we be loyal to you? The fabric Department may have not been your big money maker, but I can assure you that fabric was not the only thing I was buying. PUT FABRIC DEPARTMENTS BACK IN ALL OF YOUR STORES!

October 9, 2012 at 1:20 pm
(75) Amj says:

No fabric dept in Austell, GA or Marietta, Ga.

December 15, 2012 at 12:46 pm
(76) Debbie says:

The Walmart in our area is all but gone…they have a few things, but it’s a fabric department anymore. All I see are a few things hanging and some fabric that is precut. Not much to choose from though. I heard it was coming back too, but I don’t see much of a selection.

January 30, 2013 at 9:18 am
(77) Betty D. says:

Yes, Thank you very much as I love it. But my local store in Moline, Il. does not have any. But the stores in Davenport, Iowa does. Sometimes it’s hard to cross the river as the bridge somtimes is backed up with all the traffic. But I usuallly make a purchase when I do go. Love the holiday fabrics you have. Working now on a table runner for St. Patricks day fabric that I purchased at the store. Nice to see holiday fabric at a reasonable price. Keep up giving us giving quilts more choices’
Betty D.

January 30, 2013 at 9:22 am
(78) Betty D. says:

Yes, Thank you very much as I love it. But my local store in Moline, Il. does not have any. But the stores in Davenport, Iowa does. Sometimes it’s hard to cross the river as the bridge somtimes is backed up with all the traffic. But I usuallly make a purchase when I do go. Love the holiday fabrics you have. Working now on a table runner for St. Patricks day fabric that I purchased at the store. Nice to see holiday fabric at a reasonable price. Keep up giving us quilters more choices.
Betty D.

February 15, 2013 at 4:23 pm
(79) Shirley Davis says:

I work for Walmart in Castle Rock, CO ., in the fabric dept. I have been sewing since i was old enough to hold a needle and thread. I have designed and made my own wedding dress and vail when i was married in 1964. Sewing is my passion and i would do it 24/7 if i could.
The walmart store carries an excellent supply of fabric, thread, zippers, and has a good crafts area, also the Walmart store in Parker, CO also has a great fabric dept. I would not do anything else. Love it there.

April 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm
(80) http://blairpot4.yolasite.com/3-good-reasons-to-buy-a-brand-new-portable-clothin.php says:

Hi there, just wanted to mention, I loved this article. It was funny. Keep on posting!

October 25, 2013 at 2:10 pm
(81) Na andncy says:

I purchased almost 2 bolts of formal fabric at our Statesville NC Walmart. when I purchased the fabric the clerk took it off the bolt, remeasured and folded put information on receipt for check out. I wanted it left on blt but she said it had to be measured. To make sure I had enough, so I bought 2 bolts. The second bolt was short and I paid for down to inches for 2 bolts of very pretty fabric for a couple of formal dresses.to shorten story I found in a shop 2 dresses very similiar to what I would have had sewn. Walmart would not take back the fabric, so I wrapped and put it in a cedar chest. Our walmart did away with fabric department. Now I would like to sell, but do not know how to get yardage, all I know it is 44 inches width. How do I get yardage? I know it is dumb question. I do think the fabric deparment is opening back up. Not that I can sew, but the material is so pretty

October 29, 2013 at 8:34 pm
(82) SHIRLEY DAVIS says:

TO THE PERSON WHO purchase the fabric from walmart and has it in her cedar chest. E-mail me and I would really like to purchase it from you