How to Grade A Seam
From your Sewing Guide
Not elliminating bulk is one of the biggest mistakes when constructing a garment. This gives the appearance of a 'home made' garment. Try the following to eliminate bulk when the seam allowance can not be pressed open.
- Join two pieces of fabric as you would normally.
- Press the seam to 'set' it.
- Trim off half of the seam allowance.
- If this is a facing seam, trim the facing seam allowance in half again. If this is a construction seam, trim the seam allowance which will lay against the outside of the garment in half again.
- Understitch, if needed, press, and continue making the garment.
- Press and trim seams to give excellent finished results.
- Never snip into both layers at the same spot. This will weaken the seam and the fabric.
- Facings should be understitched to prevent the facing rolling to a visible area.
More How To's from your Guide to Sewing