Make a Beach BagDateline: 06/26/99
This week we will explore creating our own beach bag. Whenever you travel, there never seems to be enough bags to carry everything. Now you can sew your own solution.
- 1 1/4 Yards of 60" wide fabric (Something durable and washable is best. I used wind breaker Nylon, which also helped keep things dry.)
- 5 yards of 1" or wider Webbing (or additional fabric to make your own straps).
- Scrapes of fabric for appliques
- Ribbon or cording for the drawstring
- Optional:Cord locks
- Cut one piece of fabric 22" by 60" (Use a carpenters square to make sure you keep the pieces square)
- Cut 2 pieces 15" by 23.5"
- Mark center bottom on both long edges (60") of the 22 by 60" piece (30" from edge or half way mark)
- Mark center on of the smaller pieces (both pieces)on a 15" edge.
- Strap Placement
- If using nylon webbing,use heat to melt and seal the ends of the strap.
- Mark webbing at 2.5 yards
- Measure 3" in towards the center on the 22" by 60" piece from both center bottom marks.
- Pin one end of the webbing to this mark on one side.
- Pin the 2.5 yard mark of the webbing to the other mark. Bring the other end to meet the first end, Forming a continuous loop.
- Pin the webbing the rest of the way, keeping it an even amount from the edge. Stop 4" from the top edge.
- Top stitch in to place on both edges of the webbing and across the top stopping point.
- Join the 15" edge with the 60" edge, matching center marks.
- Stitch, using 1/2" seams, starting at your center mark, stitching to 1/2" from corner edge of the 15" by 23.5" piece. Rotate to stitch the 23.5"side to the remaining edge of the long piece.
- Repeat for the other side.
- Make a buttonhole, 1.5" in from the edge, horizontal with the top of the bag.
- Zig zag or serge the top edge of the bag.
- Press top edge under 1". Stitch into place.
- Ran a draw string through the casing. Tie off ends. Pull top of bag closed by pulling draw string through both buttonholes.
- Optional: Cut a piece of cardboard, plastic canvas or light weight wood to fit the bottom rectangle.
Beach Applique Ideas