- Pin or baste the zipper to the raw edge at the top of the bag, centering the zipper with zipper pull side down on the right side of the top of the fabric, centering the zipper.
Stitch the zipper to the top of the bag, stitching in the middle of the zipper tape.
- Sew the optional lining pocket in the lining.
- Place the right side of the lining on top of the right side of the fabric, sandwiching the zipper between the fabric.
- Sew the lining to the outer fabric and zipper layers, following the stitching line from attaching the zipper to the outer fabric.
- Sew a seam finish on the raw edge of the fabric.
- Open the sandwich and press the lining and outer fabric away from the zipper back on each other with the wrong sides of the fabric together.
- Top stitch the edge of the fabric to keep it from being caught in the zipper.