- Measure the distance from the edge end of the buttonhole to the seam edge. Set a seam guide to this distance and sew that distance from the edge of the entire circle.
- Repeat the same procedure from the inner end of the buttonhole.
- Trim your threads.
- Use a safety pin or bodkin to thread your chosen drawstring material through the entire casing.
- Secure the ends and thread the joined ends inside the casing.
- Pull the drawstrings out of both buttonholes.
If you find that the drawstring slides and does not hold the purse closed, use elastic as a means to close the purse and drawstrings to hold the purse.