Here's a simple project that makes a great little gift or package decoration.
Time Required: 20 minutes
- You will need:
- A piece of fabric (4" by 10")
- A piece of ribbon
- Needle and thread
- Optional- lace and trim or decorations
- Fold the fabric, wrong sides together, to measure 4" by 5".
- Stitch together the 5" raw edges to form a seam on each side. Use a 1/2" seam allowance.
- Turn under the top edge, 1/4" and 1/4" again, towards the wrong side.
- Stitch the hem into place. Sew optional trim to the top hem if desired.
- Turn right side out.
- Lightly stuff the pouch with potpourri.
- Close the pouch by tying a ribbon tightly around the top, leaving 1/2" to 1" of the pouch above the ribbon.
- Tie the ribbon in to a bow. Attache optional decorations if desired.
- If your stitches are not tight, put the potpourri inside a piece of nylon stocking before putting it in the pouch.
- Attach lace to the top hem to dress up the sachet.
- Glue a fabric flower to the bow, for a decorative appearance.
- One year the kids went nuts making these and I ran out of potpourri. My solution --- I let them use some of the old potpourri from the bowls in the house but it had lost its "zip." I dug out the Avon samples, and they added a perfume pad to the ones that needed "zip."
- You can vary the size and scent of these sachets to your liking.