1 of 6
Materials, Cutting and Marking
Collection of Fabric Drawstring Gift Bags
Debbie Colgrove, Licensed to About.com
Fabric is available in so many prints and themes, that it is more than possible to match your "fabric gift wrap" with the gift recipient better than you possibly could with paper gift wrapping. Visit quilt shops for a wide array of prints and follow post season sales to sew bags for every holiday gift giving need and you won't be filling the landfills with wasted paper gift wrapping.
- Fabric - 45" wide cotton or cotton blend fabric (see cutting for the sizes you will need) Preshrink your fabric before you begin so they can be laundered and re-used year after year.
- Thread to match the fabric
- 3/4" wide or narrower ribbon or cording for a drawstring to tie the bag
- Optional - embroidery designs or applique designs to decorate solid color fabric
- For a small jewelry gift box sized bag
cut two 6" by 4"
- For a large jewelry gift box sized bag
Cut two 9" X 6 1/2"
- For a by small gift box (11"X8 1/4"X11/2") sized bag
cut two 17" by 11"
- For a by shirt gift box (19 1/2" X 14 1/4 X 2") sized bag
cut two 25" by 18"
- For a by large robe or coat gift box (19"X12"X3") sized bag
Cut two 28" by 18"
- For a Large Shoe box (14"X 6 1/4"X 4 1/2") sized bag
Cut two 24" X 13"
- On one long side near the top edge, mark 1 1/2" and 1/2" from the top edge in the side seam allowance area.
If you are going to use thick ribbon that is wider than 1/2", you may need to make an adjustment to this mark. This mark is to create the casing which will be used for the drawstring closure.