- Nylon or Broad Cloth fabric. For a standard flag that is 3' by 5' you will need 2 yards of 60" wide fabric, However you can make a slightly smaller flag from one yard of background fabric. The size difference is not extreme. For the flowers and stems, gather 1/4 to 1/2 yard pieces of the colors you want to use.
- Sharp scissors - Making these flags may be the perfect excuse to invest in a good pair of applique scissors.
- Print Out of Bubble Letters that have been sized for flag use.
- Print out of Flower Templates
- Carbon or dressmakers marking paper
- Pencil or ball point pen
- A sewing machine with zigzag capabilities
A standard flag is 3' by 5'. Cut your background fabric 3' 2" by 5' 4.5". You may want to make your flag shorter then 5' in order to utilize 60" wide fabric. That way you will only need a one yard piece of background fabric.
Hem both 5' edges (or long edges) by turning under 1/4" and 1/4" again and top stitching the hem in to place. Hem one 3' edge the same way for the bottom hem.
Turn under 1/4" in the other 3' edge. Press the turned edge down 3" towards the body of the flag. Pin into place and top stitch the pressed edge to form the pole casing.