Not eliminating bulk is one of the biggest mistakes when constructing a garment. This gives the appearance of a 'home made' garment. Try the following to eliminate bulk when the seam allowance can not be pressed open or when sewing facings and linings.
Time Required: varies
- Sew the seam.
- Press the seam to 'set' it.
- Trim off half of the seam allowance.
- Trim one seam allowance:
- If this is a facing seam, trim the facing seam allowance in half again.
- If this is a construction seam, trim the seam allowance which will lay against the outside of the garment in half again.
- Under-stitch, if needed, press, and continue making the garment.
- Press and trim seams to give excellent finished results.
- Under-stitch facings and linings when ever possible to prevent the facing or lining from rolling to a visible area.
- When snipping a seam, never snip into both layers at the same spot. This will weaken the seam and the fabric.