Always test the chosen marking materials on scraps before your cut out fabric. Test that the will not show through to the right side of the fabric and that the markings are removable. The photos in this article are using a high contrast marking color for visibility, you would use a color that is close to the fabric color but visible. Read the package directions for more information.
- Leave the pattern pinned to the fabric.
- Fold the carbon paper in half so that it is long enough to mark the intended area.
- Place the marking side of the transfer paper on the wrong side of the fabric. (If the wrong sides of the fabric are inside, slide the transfer paper inside the fabric. If the wrong sides of the fabric are outside, place the fabric inside the transfer paper.)
- For lines, use a straight edge such as a gauge or ruler. Line the straight edge up with the line. Run the wheel along the straight edge. Check that the markings are on all layers of the fabric.
- For dots, find the center of the markings. Make an X through the center of the dot.