1. Home

Debbie Colgrove

Wal-Mart Fabric

By October 3, 2010

In case you missed it... in the past blog comments about Wal-Mart stopping fabric, there have been comments about Wal-Mart bringing fabric back. I have not been able to verify this and it may just be wishful thinking but, I did notice a VERY slight expansion in a new super store by me. The ceiling signs that say "sewing" pint to the "Celebrations" department but there is nothing sewing related there. However when I hit the stationary department, there was sewing things... even a VERY limited supply of zippers and a couple of colors of thread beyond just black and white. I sincerely wish a fabric store would open in my area but so far nothing has surfaced and I hate traveling 64 miles for a zipper so... maybe there will be a change and Maybe our complaints are being heard... what ever the case ... keep letting your voice be heard! If you have seen an increase in sewing supplies please let us know what's happening in the comments.

Comments

October 3, 2010 at 6:37 am
(1) Greta says:

The Wal-Mart that is about 10 miles from me is the only one in the entire STATE to carry fabric right now. They were sending fabrics from the other stores to this one to clear those out! It is the only fabric store that is close though..otherwise it is an hours drive to get to another one! So I am very grateful for what I can find. Otherwise I usually shop online or make the long trip if there is something specific that I know I can get a great deal on at the other store. I have heard of many Wal-Mart craft departments closing up shop. Even though mine is still here it is now smaller because they added a refrigerated and freezer area with foods.

October 3, 2010 at 3:51 pm
(2) Cheryl says:

I live in Texas and have to drive 60 miles to Lake Charles, La. I went two weeks ago and was lucky to find they had just received over 2000 yards of the $1.50 a yard fabric. I spend two hours getting fabric, thread, buttons and interfacing. I will go back in another month and hope I can get lucky again.
I do not shop at Wal-Mart any more, but I will shop for fabric.

October 3, 2010 at 11:53 pm
(3) Holly says:

The Wal-Mart nearest to me expanded their fabric selection recently after having shrunk it about 50% during a recent store upgrade. The clerk in the department said that they had received more fabric because people had been complaining. This store is twenty to twenty-five miles away from other sewing stores, with the exception of a local quilt shop or two. So I was very glad to see the improved selection!

October 4, 2010 at 1:25 pm
(4) Michelle says:

I just found out that a Walmart close to me has precut yards of fabric. I was amazed since all the other Walmarts doesn’t carry these things at all. I found coordinating fabric in the same package (1 yd of each fabric). That Walmart also carries patterns, kits to make aprons, bags, dolls and lots of ribbon, thread (any color) and zippers. Oh and I saw the packages of rick rack and buttons as well. Am I lucky? :)
The store is in the outskirts of Atlanta, GA.

October 4, 2010 at 6:02 pm
(5) Judy says:

The local WalMart here has remodeled and removed all the bolts of fabric. What they now have are prepackaged cuts of fabric, and not a lot of that.

October 4, 2010 at 8:04 pm
(6) Catherine says:

My WalMart was remodeled, and all of the fabric was removed. They don’t have prepackaged cuts of fabric, nor that many crafts. Soooo bummed. There are fabric stores in my area, but all are closed by the time I get home from work.
I followed your advice and left a message on the website at walmart.com.

October 4, 2010 at 11:22 pm
(7) Susan says:

When our superstore opened there was a minimal fabric selection. (The old small store had an actual small fab. dept. ) Now, after about 9 months, the number of bolts of fabric are growing – but it is just a good, basic selection. I’m a quilter & appreciate the cottons that are comparable, but less than 1/2 the price of JoAnns. What keeps me coming back is the hope of finding those surprise bargains. The white on white batiste hanging in my d.r. window was $1.00/yd. I have a cotton royal blue blouse with an arty stripe, that was $1.50/yd. Valences for sister- homespun check for 1.50. I’m a Walmart fan – but of course would like the whole store to be a fabric warehouse. But I’ll have to settle for what I can get.

October 8, 2010 at 6:42 am
(8) Arkansas Granny says:

Yes, Local Walmart Department Manager would like to bring the yardage back to this store. I encouraged him..We do need to encourage Walmart to do so. Big service to the communities. Nearest Fabric store to Bentonville Arkansas is 30 miles away…
Any ideas how we can get this done?

October 8, 2010 at 6:51 am
(9) Marie Norby says:

I was recently in my local Walmart here in SC and there were several of us waiting for someone to come and cut fabric after 4 calls for assistantance the manager (male) and another guy came and cut the fabric for us. Some were quilters with several fabrics wanting 1/2 yard of each and then me a machine embroider doing lots of applique getting small lengths if fabric. I was the last one in line and commented to the manager that I knew he would be glad when fabric was taken from their store. He said the demand was so high for fabric that it was coming back to the stores. YES

October 8, 2010 at 6:54 am
(10) Susie says:

The Walmarts in Ontario are still carrying fabric and my store is almost 2 years old and will be expanding soon to a superstore. I was inPort Huron last weekend and they didn’t have any fabric. I was directed to the sewing isle with basic sewing supplies and 4 sewing machines. I needed some wunder under and there wasn’t any. I have bought fabric for years at Walmart but a quilter in Michigan told me not to buy their fabric because it was cheap and not very good. Len’s store here is very expensive eg: panels for children’s cloth books $11- 13 and Walmart sells them for $4 plus but they used to sell for $3 plus. I made them for my bazaars and they sold well. Walmart is my store even though some people hate Walmart.

October 8, 2010 at 6:56 am
(11) karen says:

My Walmart got rid of fabric, but the Hobby Lobby a mile away, has increased their fabric. I live in an area where people buy fabric for their designer to use, so not much demand for fabric at Walmart. Yeah for Hobby Lobby for picking up the slack.

October 8, 2010 at 7:04 am
(12) Melissa L. says:

The supercenter here (New Orleans area) got a remodle a while back and took out the fabric dept. It was a dark day indeed! They have a craft isle and still carry basics and also batting. BUT…a few days ago I saw an endcap with different lengths of fabric, like ends of bolts, that all were priced $5 each. They were all different lengths, yet all the same price. I don’t think this will bring it all back as it seems no one is buying them accept me and demand may not be that high. There are 3 JoAnn’s and a Hancocks fabrics within 10 miles of me, but of course w/m is always cheaper.

October 8, 2010 at 7:18 am
(13) Sylvia says:

We have a superstore here in my town in GA, and there is a fair amount of fabric. I was lucky enough to find some upholstery wgt fabric to do a couple of chairs and dng rm chairs too. I hope they continue to carry this department and all of this fabric. I vote YES if they want my opinion…

October 8, 2010 at 7:23 am
(14) Gail says:

Two stores in Jacksonville, FL have fabric and sewing departments.

October 8, 2010 at 7:26 am
(15) Jackie says:

The Walmart near us not only eliminated their stock of fabric, but did it several days before their announced closing of the department. What is left is a poor assortment of sewing odds and ends. The prices are not even very good. There is no doubt that this section of the store has very low priority.

October 8, 2010 at 7:35 am
(16) Teresa says:

I am very lucky to have two Wal-Marts within 5 miles of each other that carry a fantastic selection of reasonably priced fabrics and even some sewing supplies that I cannot find at Jo-Anns or Hancocks. The new Super Wal-Mart, however, does not carry any fabrics! I do hope Wal-Mart keeps the fabric in the stores.

October 8, 2010 at 7:37 am
(17) mummypotamus says:

This week, the WalMart superstore next to me has been selling 5 yard bolts of fabric for $5. It is the first time I have seen fabric in this store since I moved here last year (Austin, TX). The sewing department does have a few supplies: zippers, buttons, colored thread, rulers, cutting tools, etc., but not usually fabric. Hopefully it is the beginning of a comeback, but it seemed more like they were getting rid of old stock.

October 8, 2010 at 7:40 am
(18) EB says:

I also followed your advise and wrote to Walmart. It would be a shame if they no longer carry fabrics. I do not use their fabrics for my quilting but it is great to make pillowcases, curtains, aprons, tablerunners etc. The price of the fabrics are great. I am not good with facebook but maybe that would get more people to contact them.

October 8, 2010 at 7:53 am
(19) Gail says:

wal Mart is called Asda over here in England, we have never had any kind of fabric on sale, not that I know of anyway, It would be good if they started to sell fabric, I can’t see that happening if they are stopping to sell in in your country.

Gail

October 8, 2010 at 7:58 am
(20) Mary says:

I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area and the closest Walmart to me closed out their fabric department several years ago but another store (about five miles away) has a really good department. I was told by the clerk that the Seminole indian tribe contacted Walmart about the need for fabric for their colorful skirts. Walmart agreed to keep the fabric. Why let Joann have all the business???

October 8, 2010 at 8:00 am
(21) JoAnne says:

WalMart in Thunder Bay, On Canada has removed their entire fabric department. This includes zippers, thread, patterns – anything to do with sewing. They have a small section for scrapbooking, but that’s about it. Even paints for other hobbies such as for One Stroke Painting is gone! They are renovating and will be adding a ‘grocery store’. I feel sorry for you ladies who have to drive mega distances for a zipper. At least we have Fabricland.

October 8, 2010 at 8:02 am
(22) Carol Skilling says:

In Tewksbury MA they have fabric, but closed the fabric in the North Reading store. Sad about that.

October 8, 2010 at 8:03 am
(23) Beth says:

In Co. the Walmart that I visit in Westminster has precut fabric
and a few kits. They also have some charm packs, fat qtrs. Wish they would get fabric on the bolt.

October 8, 2010 at 8:14 am
(24) varetta says:

my area has 4 walmarts 1 has fabric luv the $1 selection must go often I hope they expand fabric to more locations

October 8, 2010 at 8:26 am
(25) Donna says:

I work at a local Wal-mart – the plan is still to remove all fabric in our store next year – at least by inventory time. :-( The same with the store down the road about 5 miles. We’re the only two left in our area with fabric.

October 8, 2010 at 8:50 am
(26) Michael says:

A week ago I visited one of the largest El Paso Walmart stores (Cielo Vista) that’s currently being remodeled. They’ve added a new section of prepackaged (2 yrd) fabrics. The fabric now being offered is more updated and contemporary than what was offered before by the bolt. I didn’t notice patterns. At least quilters will be pretty happy.

October 8, 2010 at 9:00 am
(27) Peggy says:

Go online to http://www.Fabric.com. They are great to work with. Sometimes you need to send them a swatch for matching, but lots of time a phone call will do. They ship quickly and there are no lines, no freeways, no gas used, no parking lots and no store closing time. I usually get my shipments within 3-5 days of ordering. There are other online companies out there that have fabrics and notions, and they are also very good. Look in the back of Threads magazine or Vogue magazine for listings of online dealers. Joann’s and Hancocks both have an online service. However, I still like to find a store, walk in and do the touchy feely thing. Good luck

October 8, 2010 at 9:03 am
(28) Linda Haynes says:

Of the 5 or 6 Walmarts located near me(Hampton Roads area Virginia) only 2 are now selling fabric. Both of those stores tell me fabric is eventually going away.

October 8, 2010 at 9:07 am
(29) Karen says:

I will tell you that yes Walmart is considering bringing fabric back but to only certain stores. This is according to my store manager after attending the yearly meeting. They have a new CEO who realizes the mistakes they made during their remodels.
He is working on trying to rectify the mistakes and you will see some of the old ways come back including gun sales. Also some of the merchandise they eliminated will return with enough requests from the customers.
I urge you all to talk to your local store manager about your concerns. Our store manager has set up a special cell phone line directly to him for these matters.

October 8, 2010 at 9:09 am
(30) Debby says:

I live in the Greater New Orleans area (New Orleans, Metairie, Harahan, Louisiana) and the Wal-Marts here and across the lake in Mandeville, LA, do NOT have a fabric department anymore. I have written Wal-Mart about my concern to keep the Sewing Dept. in their stores, but have never heard back.

October 8, 2010 at 9:11 am
(31) Rita says:

Hey Sewing Friends,
In Auburn MA on Rt 12 they just opened a store All Fabric $1.99 a yard…. lots and lots to choose from. Some ends of rolls, but at a great bargain. Better than our local Walmart.

October 8, 2010 at 9:13 am
(32) Donna says:

The sad thing is that when Walmart started carrying fabric, it drove the rest of the fabric shops out of business and now Walmart no longer carries it.

October 8, 2010 at 9:16 am
(33) GaGrammy says:

I live in a town in GA where there are three WalMart stores and neither of them carry fabric anymore. But there is a WalMart in Toccoa, GA that I was in recently that had a very large fabric and craft department! And it was a relatively new store so maybe there is still hope! And the town I live in only has one fabric store. So in my opion WalMart is missing out on a good thing!

October 8, 2010 at 9:30 am
(34) Shelly says:

We have two Wal Marts in our town and one in the neighboring town. One of ours still has the full fabric dept. but the other two have the precut fabric. I guess they’re trying it out to see how it works. I haven’t really looked at the pre-cut to see the quality, but they have some really cute colors and patterns on them. I’m in Central Louisiana.

October 8, 2010 at 9:42 am
(35) Susan says:

Our WalMart remodeled about 2 years ago and eliminated the fabric. We still have a few notions and a small amount of yarn. there a few WalMarts nearby that have some fabric but a fraction of what they used to have. I live in the San Francisco Bay area (East Bay section). Our fabric choices are extremely limited especially for general purpose sewing.

October 8, 2010 at 9:43 am
(36) wendy says:

sorry to say the walmart by me(maple grove, MN) has only some notions, thread in basic colors, and precut fabrics for specific projects, pj pants, scrubs, some 1 yard cuts. very sad.

October 8, 2010 at 10:01 am
(37) Pat says:

The two Walmart stores in our area have managed to eradicate all fabric from their stores in addition to the interesting craft supplies that I use to enjoy perusing. I am total sick about the downsizing of the craft dept. and elimination of all fabrics. What is the matter with Walmart? It now looks like a giant vending machine!

October 8, 2010 at 10:05 am
(38) Bonita says:

Not all the Walmart stores in Northern Fl carry fabric, but a few do. I can get some nice stuff (fabric), children’s print, if I take the time. My area I live in has 3 fabric stores (mostly $10 yd), and 2 Joanns. When I’m making something really supper special I usually shop online, or go to one of the Quilt Shops. Have noticed that one of the Walmarts here, has had bunches of cotton fabric, 5 yrds for $5.

October 8, 2010 at 10:15 am
(39) cristy says:

The Wal-Marts here has went from being a Huge Sewing Dept, done to hardly anything now. They do still carry some Fabric but they also has went up on the Price of it. As for the Sewing Notions like the Threads & all their is barely any at all, this is the only Place around that I was able to get my Sewing stuff without driving an hour away to a more High Price Store. I did talked to the Manager the other day & he did say that ALL Wal-Marts will stop selling All Sewing Items. So does anybody have a good & reasonable site I could do my Sewing Shopping at?

October 8, 2010 at 10:35 am
(40) dee says:

All fabric is gone form my area in columbus, ga and alabama phenix city but in Eufuala alabama they quit the fabric but they are the only ones who carry fat qtrs and cut lengths for projects like 2 yards max ……. maybe there is hope

October 8, 2010 at 10:48 am
(41) Linda Dougherty says:

Our local Walmart (Mt. Pleasant, Michigan) still carries a fairly good selection of material. They seem to sell a lot of fabric so I am hoping that they will continue to keep their sewing section.

October 8, 2010 at 11:02 am
(42) Ruth in way South Texas says:

Three WalMarts down here, but NO MATERIAL. some notions!! We have to travel 150 miles to San Antonio or McAllen, to the closest material store. We are blessed with a Hobby Lobby, but their material selection is very small, and without a WalMart material section, we have very little choice. I will certainly go to WalMart site and leave a comment.

October 8, 2010 at 11:04 am
(43) Susan says:

I visited the Wal-Mart in Logansport Indiana last month and found that they have removed all materials and just about all craft & sewing supplies.
They are building a super store, so I asked the clerk if they would carry fabric at new store. She said , “alas, no.” She is a sewer and was so hoping they would.
Maybe it is because they can’t buy fabrics from China?? Thus not the profit they are used to making. So sad

October 8, 2010 at 11:12 am
(44) caroleleah says:

I’m in south-central Kentucky, where we have 2 Walmart supercenters. Both still have fabric departments that are still reasonably well stocked, although not what it used to be. The staff explains that they’ve been told “the sewing dept. doesn’t make the same profit per square foot as other areas”, so of course the stores are removing the areas or cutting them way down in favor of better profit-per-square-foot merchandise. Sounds good, IN THEORY! But, what the powers-that-be have forgotten to consider, is all the “incidental” shopping we do when we stop to pick up a small sewing item! I went for some bias tape the other day. While in the store for my bias tape, I decided I wanted a huge tote, some kitty treats, a few extra grocery items, and a leather belt, all of which totalled about $40. It seems that Walmart made FAR more profit from me that trip that what was generated by that little package of bias tape, but they wouldn’t have gotten ANY of that sale if I hadn’t stopped in the store for the tape in the first place. Walmart is run by professionals; it amazes me that they aren’t considering the impulse shopping we all do. Most of us won’t walk all the way back to the sewing department without picking up at least one other item on the trip!

October 8, 2010 at 11:17 am
(45) Louise says:

The Walmart in our area has carried fabric & sewing supplies/notions for as long as I can remember. Even though this department is small, I have not heard that they were going to stop carrying these items.

October 8, 2010 at 11:20 am
(46) Ellie says:

The nearest Walmart has completely eliminated its fabric department. The two Walmarts in Bryan/College Station have fabric by the bolt and a fair supply of notions. The one in Crockett has fabric by the bolt but the notions department is not so great. WE live in a part of Texas where we have to travel at least 35 miles to get a decent spool of thread.

October 8, 2010 at 11:21 am
(47) margaret w. south says:

Since Walmart has stopped its fabric dept. in our area,sewing has really become an expensive hobby. Almost unaffordable on a limited bugdet. Even though there are several fabric speciality stores close, even with their sales, one can’t aways afford to sew. Walmart regular prices, and their sale prices were great. I used to go into Walmart at least 1 to 2 times a month, now 3-4 times a year.

October 8, 2010 at 11:30 am
(48) Debbie says:

I have 1 WalMart 20 minutes away and 3 30 minutes away all in different directions. The closest one closed out their fabric department early this past summer but the other 3 still have fabric by the bolt. I was in the closest one the other day…first time since they closed out fabric…and saw that they now have precut fabric bundles. Most of them are 2 yard cuts. It seemed like nice quality fabric and most were priced at $7.00. There were also pattern kits but no patterns by themselves. There were also other notions like thread, zippers, quilting notions and stuff like that. I was told by the department manager that any WalMart that had a JoAnn’s in the same town was going to loose their fabric department. I rarely shop WalMart anymore.

October 8, 2010 at 11:33 am
(49) Rhonda says:

I don’t know how true this is,but a walmart employee told me that she heard that the CEO of walmart is married to the CEO of Joann’s,so this maybe the reason they decided to get rid of the fabric dept. To get rid of the competition.

October 8, 2010 at 11:41 am
(50) Lucinda says:

Our Walmart no longer carries fabric and has no plans to bring it back. Our Jo-Ann fabrica went out of business and now you have to drive over an hour to buy fabric and sewing supplies.

October 8, 2010 at 11:45 am
(51) gail says:

I live in Va and work at walmart. I was told that we would
no longer have a fabfic department in 2011. I hope we
get the fabric department back.

October 8, 2010 at 11:54 am
(52) annalee says:

Did anyone ever mention to you that maybe YOU open up your own sewing store??? that way you could stock what you and your friends truly want and would ensure good service. you would also make some $ on the side while doing something you obviously love. -just a suggestion-

October 8, 2010 at 11:58 am
(53) Ellen Kass says:

No Walmart in El Paso, Tx has bolts of fabric – just a minimal assortment of precut – fat quarters, strips…

October 8, 2010 at 12:00 pm
(54) Missy says:

Walmart here in NMB, SC. stopped selling fabric in August. Said they wanted to expand their electronics dept. I shop in various quilt shops or on line and try not to go to Walmart as they sure don’t care a lick for the community or their patrons. Maybe the small Mom & Pop stores will come back.

October 8, 2010 at 12:00 pm
(55) Anita Geffinger says:

The WalMart that I frequent has been remodeled into a Super Wally. My friends told me that they had discontinued the fabrics but when I went hunting around the store, I found they had moved the dept. to the rear..sadly, all they carry now are pre-cut lengths and certainly not the assortment I’ve been used to. Bah Humbug, WalMart!!!!

October 8, 2010 at 12:01 pm
(56) Mary says:

All Wal Marts in York PA have removed their fabric.

Orlando, too, according to our daughters.

We are left with JoAnn’s and a small quilt, vacuum store.

October 8, 2010 at 12:02 pm
(57) Linda says:

I, too, am still angry that WalMart decided to discontinue their bolt fabrics. While some of our local stores have an aisle dedicated to sewing supplies, it is truly inadequate. I am no longer a regular WalMart shopper. Here’s the address to contact WalMart and let your voice be heard again:

October 8, 2010 at 12:02 pm
(58) Sandi says:

Our Wal-Mart here in Kannapolis, North Carolina has added to it’s sewing section.
Jelly Rolls, additional fat quarters, kits for aprons and doll clothes, 5 yard pieces of various blend fabrics, patterns, additional threads and notions.

Instead of one aisle wall, they have increased it to one full aisle and a half. This does not include the yarns and craft items.

October 8, 2010 at 1:11 pm
(59) Karen Muhlstadt says:

I live in St. Petersburg Florida. I hear the Walmart on South 34th Street still has fabric. All of the others have no sewing department left. They do have a “craft” area with small amounts of craft supplies, sewing supplies (a few zippers, needles and threads ) and school supplies. They may sell a few low end sewing machines. I was sorry to see the sewing department with fabric and patterns go. They also are not stocking many sewing magazines.

October 8, 2010 at 2:02 pm
(60) Lona says:

Am I just horribly spoiled? I think if I were wishing, I’d wish for more JoAnn’s or Hancocks instead of the very limited selections even the best Walmarts have ever had. I have to sympathize with the folks who need $1 to $2 a yard fabrics for whatever they’re sewing, or for those who live a zillion miles from any fabric supplier of any kind, but there can’t possibly be the selection available for a fairly reasonable price at Walmart that almost any “real” fabric store has. That said, it breaks my heart that anyone has to be without the option to sew for any reason. Is it really cheaper to buy ready made than to make it yourself? Apparently there have been enough people who thought so that many stores have downsized, gone out of business, or, like Walmart have decided it’s just not cost effective to stock fabrics and sewing supplies. Or is this a failure of the education system? Do kids take Home Ec anymore, especially sewing? To be able to sew, to me, is a survival skill. Maybe we need to be activists in schools, too, not just pestering Walmart — we need to build the market, then maybe “they will come?”

October 8, 2010 at 2:11 pm
(61) Ethel says:

I was told at at the Harlan,KY. WalMarts that they were not going to close there Fabric department here. I had heard the rumor also that it was closing it,so I asked the clerk that worked in the Fabric department and that they were closing all of the crafts department.I know here in Harlan,KY. they do not have any other fabric store.What are people here going to do if they do close these departments.We live in a small area and it is some distance to get to where one can by fabric.The way that Gas gone up we have to do wth out, but craft has to take back seat to fabric. I make alot of my grandchildren their clothes cause they are so expensive to buy.

October 8, 2010 at 2:35 pm
(62) Marie says:

The closest Wal Mart around here is an hours drive away. To be honest everything is an hours drive away. When Wally stopped stocking fabric about a year ago, I stopped shopping their. Then my machine went haywire and the repair man couldn’t get parts. (It was a fairly new machine)So at this point I have stopped sewing. Its to bad that things arn’t the way it use to be. I have a room full of patterns, material, thread and other related items. Their is nothing at Wal Mart that I want anymore. They lost a customer

October 8, 2010 at 2:53 pm
(63) Kimberly says:

I live in New Brunswick, Canada. Where the 2 Walmarts in Moncton and Dieppe both removed the fabric departments. These stores where about and 45 to 1 hour away from me. So I go to Nova Scotia since I border against it, it takes me about 20 minutes to go to Amherst Walmart but they too have removed the fabric department. I wish they still had Home Ec. in the school system but they do not.

October 8, 2010 at 2:56 pm
(64) Kim says:

The Walmart in Hamilton NJ was still carrying fabric as of the end of August. I found the baby fabric panel that Joann’s didn’t carry. Our store has a variety of fabric, patterns a few machines. I haven’t heard of them closing it as the nearest Joanns is about 10 to 15 miles away and a pain to get to, so much traffic and doesn’t seem to be the same warm and friendly shop it used to be. Maybe “annalee” has a good point.
Keep on stitchin’

October 8, 2010 at 5:06 pm
(65) Harriet says:

I live within two WalMarts both of them about the same distance away. Neither one of them have fabric. I only have Joann Store to get my supplies. If I go shopping early in the morning, which sometimes the only time I can go, I don’t have nowhere to get stuff I need. Please bring the sewing department back…..

October 8, 2010 at 6:03 pm
(66) Diane says:

I went in a Wal Mart in Alabama that had discontinued their “fabric” but found an interesting section. They had their own patterns and fabric sold on cardboard pieces like a very small bolt where the fabric is precut in 1 yd. 1 1/2 yd and 2 yd increments. The patterns tell you how many yards of fabric to get and you can pick the “corresponding” amount for the project you choose. Their patterns were for very basic aprons, totes, blankets, I don’t remember exactly but it seemed they were trying to get people that don’t sew to show them how “simple” it is.

October 8, 2010 at 6:32 pm
(67) Shirley says:

Ohio is the same way sewers! There are three Walmarts in my area. Two of them have discontinued their fabric departments the one in Troy, Ohio still has a good selection. I have also voiced my opinion, I doubt if it matters, but hopefully they will re-consider.

October 8, 2010 at 6:53 pm
(68) Bev says:

There are several WalMarts in the Mobile area and I know some of them do not have fabric any more, but the one I go to on Schillinger Road has a lot of it. In fact, they may be running out of shelves for all of it. It is a pleasure to shop there because of their generous supply of seasonal fabric. Y’all come on down to Mobile Alabama!

October 8, 2010 at 7:16 pm
(69) Leonita says:

Our Walmart remodeled & said the weren’t going to carry fabric but they still do & have been getting medium priced $4-$5/YD . Had corduroy but the did away with wash be gone stabilizer for embroidering, couldn’t understand that as they were out a lot of times or had only a little left on bolt. Emporia, Ks.

October 8, 2010 at 7:43 pm
(70) Marci B says:

I live in Bluffton, South Carolina.
I am between a couple of wal_Marts the one closest to
me stopped selling fabric about 4 years ago.
the other 2 one in Beaufort, Sc and one in Ga.
Still have a great selection of fabric.
I was just in the one in Beaufort and picked up a nice
single knit for 5yds for 5 dollars and will make a loose
jacket.

October 8, 2010 at 7:59 pm
(71) Kim says:

Our Wal-Mart in Clarkston, WA took all the fabric out of their store! I go to JoAnn’s or another quilt shop (when I can afford them) but I would love to see them bring back the fabric. Went on vacation to Indiana and their wal-mart had fabric and I spent about 700.00 on fabric to bring home to Idaho!! Bring back the fabric WAL-MART!!!!!

October 8, 2010 at 8:07 pm
(72) Beverley says:

I’m in St.John’s newfoundland.
Sadly Walmarts here are removing their fabrics.
don’t like it too much. the only other place for me is really a good distance away.

October 8, 2010 at 8:39 pm
(73) Wilma says:

I have a friend who’s a manager at a Walmart’s and the word is that they will eliminate the fabrics dept. Currently many don’t have a sewing dept… what a shame!!!!

October 8, 2010 at 8:43 pm
(74) Serenity says:

The Wal-mart store in Bartlett TN, near Memphis, is fully stocked with sewing fabrics and items and a few sewing machines also on the shelves. They might have more in the back, I don’t know. I’ve only been in Memphis for a year, so I don’t know if it’s the same normal size or if it shrunk, but it looks normal to me.

October 8, 2010 at 8:58 pm
(75) Roseanna says:

There are about five Wal-marts within a 10 mile radius and none has fabric any longer. The newest one to open up a couple of years ago didn’t even have any fabric to begin with. The other four slowly deleted all fabric bolts and very few supplies, except for pre-packaged fabric. Even the yarn department was reduced to about 1/2 of an aisle.

We don’t have a Hobby Lobby, just AC Moore and Joanns but fabric at Joanns is much more expensive than I care to pay.

It is a shame since obviously they don’t people sew anymore but at the Wal-mart I frequented the most, there were always people on line to have their fabric cut and at Christmastime, there was even more purchases made.

October 8, 2010 at 8:59 pm
(76) BettynPetronis says:

In my area in upstate N.Y. capital district area there is still a large fabric department in the North Greenbush store. I just found this out the other day since I do not go in this direction much. It is about 5 miles outside of Troy and Albany, N.Y.

October 8, 2010 at 9:03 pm
(77) Bonnie says:

I live on the coast of Oregon. We have a (relatively) small Walmart that has always carried fabric. It has a small quilting cotton section carrying a small cross section of prints and solids, a small section of interfacings, muslin, etc. , a section of 1.50/yd and a section of 2.00/yd fabrics as well as a section of holiday fabrics, fleeces and flannels. They sell batting, pillow inserts, prepackaged quilt fat quarters, basic sewing machines, patterns, and a small but well stocked general quilting/sewing notions section.

If you can get there when the new fabrics arrive you can find great bargains on cottons, linens, and other natural fiber fabrics that are two to three years old if the copyrights on the sides of the fabric are anything to go by. Most of the remaining fabric is polyester, acetate, mixed blend fabrics with off colorways, sad print choices, and obviously off grain prints or other flaws.

I can’t complain too hard. I use a lot of the fabrics for basic sewing around the house and save the great finds for clothing, quilts, and gifts.

We are lucky, in that the store has always carried fabric and shows no sign of taking it away. We are in a semi rural area with lots of tourist traffic and a high proportion of minimum wage earners so the demand for fabric and sewing supplies is pretty high and pretty constant.

We have one other quilt fabric store in town, a very limited sewing store 20 miles away, and JoAnn stores 30, 50, and 60 miles away in three different directions (ocean on fourth LOL) The only great fabric stores are 100 miles away.

October 8, 2010 at 9:22 pm
(78) Cheryl Designs says:

I live in Southeastern Ohio. My closest Walmart is app. 12 miles away. I admit I didn’t use it very often for sewing supplies. The quality of the fabric was just ‘ok’ to me. It did come in handy for a zipper or thread when I needed it for a customer though. My closest Jo-Ann Fabric store is app. 20 miles away. Yes, I realize I am LUCKY compared to many seamstresses on here :) What has confused me is the fact the Walmart that is within 1 1/2 miles of the Jo-Ann and Hobby Lobby Stores KEPT their fabric dept…well,so far….???? They would have sold ALOT of sewing supplies by keeping the FULL DEPT at the South-End store….The South store carries a FEW spools of thread and a couple of white and black zippers, some needles and pins, etc..VERY FEW items now :( When I NEED things I have to make about a 90 minute round trip….

October 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm
(79) Lynn Kroszkewicz says:

My Walmart is about 12 miles away; and they said that the fabric department will close March 2011. There is a JoAnn fabric but that store is about 15 miles away; and very pricesy. Walmart told me that the fabric deparment will merge with JoAnn. I really like Walmart better

October 8, 2010 at 9:24 pm
(80) cece says:

I have seen some of the Walmarts that use to carry fabric have packaged fabric in 1 or 2 yard cuts and have thread and a few other sewing related items. This is more to quilters than home sewers.

October 8, 2010 at 10:19 pm
(81) Cheryl Billing Smith says:

I live in Australia and have read the comments about Walmart with interest for we have a similar store called Spotlight here. I am a patchwork teacher, quilter and designer and I am not that enthused with these large supermarket sized stores and their fabric for several reasons, one being there are no staff to help with fabric choices and second, their patchwork fabric is often cheap, poor quality and you can shoot peas through a lot of it. I am of the opinion that if you are making a quality product you need quality ingredients, you rarely get them from these chain stores so I keep a wide berth and more importantly I want my local quilt shops to survive and thrive and they can only do that if I support them.

October 9, 2010 at 12:09 am
(82) Carol says:

I am from Ottawa Ontario the capital of Canada and they have removed their material from our Walmarts also.Very disapointed,

October 9, 2010 at 1:23 am
(83) Bonnie says:

Three stores in lower Mi, all Super stores, only small slecection of precut fabric, not great quility or color/patterns, very little notions, they all say when it is a SuperStore, the fabric goes away. I have emailed until Ia m blue in the face, no reply at all. Very discouraging.

October 9, 2010 at 7:12 am
(84) marie Gros says:

Hi I live in the New Port Richey Fl. area. (34668) So far everything is normal at the Wal-Mart stores in my area. I ask them every once in a while about future plans for the sewing department but they say they just keep stocking and people keep buying. In fact at our Port Richey store where I go quite often, they seem to be even stuffing more things into the department, maybe in anticcapation of the holidays. I left the Mount Clemens area of Michigan a little over two years ago and at the time all of the Wal-marts that were not supered were going through the transformation and although everytime I went in and asked they said they were keeping the fabrics but one day I went in and everything was gone just like that, even after telling people that the fabric was staying. So that goes to show that you can’t always believe that everyone at the store knows exactly what is planned by corporate or they are told to keep their mouths shut.

October 9, 2010 at 9:51 am
(85) auntbethys says:

hi, there – ‘love your stuff, Debbie!!! the walmarts here in north central texas have continued to remove the fabric as we’ve known it. They are responding to our HUGE dismay by bringing fabric in that’s packaged, precut, and hanging on the wall. ‘not at ALL what it was but reasonably priced and good for small projects.

we still have fabric on the bolt at azle walmart (near ft. worth)…. cross streets: 820 & jacksboro hwy

rich blessings to all~
beth

October 9, 2010 at 12:24 pm
(86) ann says:

i do not think the fabric will be coming back to wal-mart.
in my area they are still downsizing and deleting the fabric sections in favor of pinatas and party goods.

October 9, 2010 at 6:03 pm
(87) Darla says:

A very busy SuperCenter about 50 miles north of New Orleans, has one isle wirh precut/pre-packaged fabric in a limited selection of prints and assorted solid cottons, displayed on a peg board. Also a line of simple cut and sew fabrics that make pajama pants, aprons and scrub tops, some notions, zippers and thread. It is the only store I have seen this, so may be a test. Other stores in the same area have nothing!

October 9, 2010 at 8:44 pm
(88) Karol says:

The WalMart near our house in Vestal, New York recently remodeled. Not only can you not find anything now, plus the quality of everything they sell has been cut in half, while prices remain high, but in the fabric area, they have seriously downsized. Now all they have for the most part is junk material – you know – the Mystery Material from China. I do not WANT that. They cut their cutting table down so far that the girls have trouble cutting fabric. And lots of the fabric is precut to a 2 yard piece. I don’t WANT exactly 2 yards. So, between the fabric / crafts area issue and the lowering of quality throughout the store, I have now stopped shopping at WalMart. It also seems as most departments have downsized on the variety that they carry. No longer worth the trip. We do have a JoAnnes, and several great quilting shops within 3 miles, so we aren’t suffering, but Walmart just lost a good customer. So be it.

October 10, 2010 at 12:36 am
(89) Vicky says:

I live between Brunswick and Savannah, GA. Both stores have stopped carrying fabric. There is one in Pooler that still has a fabric department, but it is very hard to find what I want there. Most of the time the employee has no clue about sewing. I don’t care for WalMart, but I do miss the convenience of the fabric department at the Brunswick store as I work in the area. We do not have a fabric store on the mainland in Brunswick that I am aware of at this time. I would really like to see a fabric store in this area even if it is at Walmart.

October 10, 2010 at 1:20 am
(90) Linda Palm says:

I need to travel to another WalMart (Epherta,Pa)to purchase fabric since the one less then 1/4 mile form my home (Wyomiising,Pa) stopped selling fabric years ago.
I rarely shop WalMart any more,the fabric department was my reason to shop there but whilr there I did make many other purchases.
Too bad the message was not heard or should I say,too bad WalMart still fails to care or else fabric would of been brought back !!!!!

October 10, 2010 at 2:07 am
(91) Brenda says:

Northern California…Walmart has removed fabrics from most stores in or near Sacramento. A few still carry limited fabrics. Drive ore than 20 miles to Dixion to find fabrics.
Wish Walmart in Northern California would reverse their decision.

October 10, 2010 at 9:09 am
(92) DDZ says:

walmart carry a lots sewing thing like ruler thread why not fabric i miss the fabric iwish it will come back to the store soon it hard going some were to get what you need and online is no for me i like to see thing up close .

October 10, 2010 at 10:44 am
(93) Barbara says:

Our local Walmart is slowly selling out all of the fabric and notions, and is shipping a lot out. It will not be back and every other Walmart within 50 miles has done the same thing. I joined the Fashion Fabrics Club online for fabric but I prefer to hand feel the fabric I am buying, so some of my purchases have been disapointing. The nearest fabric store is basically a drapery house with clothing fabric as a sideline and is 80 miles away! I live close (90 miles)to NYC and plan to go to the city on a fabric buying trip instead of dealing locally, but it is so inconvienient to have to do that. I spent a ton in Walmart fabric section over the years and I think it stinks to turn thier back on home sewers like they have.

October 10, 2010 at 4:17 pm
(94) Janice A Watts says:

Our WalMart store has recently closed its fabric department. There are a lot of seamstress that are mad about, this due to the fact we have to drive 50 miles to get notions. We need the fabric department back.

October 10, 2010 at 5:39 pm
(95) viki says:

the wallmart i frequent the most has cut back it’s fabric department from 5 or 6 aisles to one and a half. gone is the $1.50 table which was one of my favorites. in northern san diego county, california, there are few other places to shop. joann and 3 other shops are in the vicinity but their prices are up to two times and more what i could purchase fabric at wallmart. my sewing and quilting will be much more limited as a result. i also have gotten to know the ladies who worked there and may have lost track of a couple of friends. in addition my husband had other sections to wander around in while i shopped for fabric, like electronics, electronics, and of course, food.

October 10, 2010 at 9:55 pm
(96) Becky Ware says:

Our Walmart is going to move to a new superstore in February, and I was told by the main fabric worker that the fabric workers all have been informed that the fabric will all be clearanced, and that the new store will NOT carry fabric, that they will just carry crafts, beading, wedding & similar craft items. They were told that the ENTIRE Walmart corporation will quit selling fabric completely, that they are phasing it out.

Becky in Lincolnton, NC

October 10, 2010 at 11:13 pm
(97) Becky Ware says:

Some super walmarts that do have what they call a sewing section, usually have a minimal amount of zippers, a few colors of thread, a couple of choices for zippers & buttons, and maybe one or two sewing machines. If they have fabric at all, it is the pre cut packaged fabric. I would never purchase those, they are always 1.5 to 3 yards, and I usually buy 6 to 12 yards of fabric at a time so I can make mix and match clothes or home decor. I have never seen any of the pre packaged fabrics that I would consider buying.

8 years or so ago, when I lived in Idaho, we had a new Super Walmart built in a nearby town. It had the awful pre packaged fabric, and everyone I encountered in the “sewing & craft” section was horrified! A bunch of us filled out comment cards for Walmart and explained how much we hated the pre packaged fabric, and how important the Walmart fabric section was to us. My mom had actually made the suit she wore to testify before Congress (on packaging food with the origin of country information), and felt perfectly dressed for the occasion. I mentioned this in my comment card. Not long afterwards, the fabric section was fixed, once again we could buy fabric by the yard, though the section was very small. Since that time though, I moved to North Carolina, and discovered that across the USA, closing fabric sections is the norm for Walmart.

October 11, 2010 at 2:45 pm
(98) Saraj says:

We have only one Wal*Mart in our area that still has fabric but I hear it will go away when they remodel the store. When they removed it from the Hermitage Store in Tennessee, I quit shopping at Wal*Mart as a whole. I miss the fabric department and all of the ladies who worked in it. It was a great place to network. They need to bring it back.

October 11, 2010 at 11:42 pm
(99) Cissy says:

I am looking for WalMarts in Ky that still carry fabric.
If you know of any please post them;

Thanks

October 12, 2010 at 12:10 am
(100) Angela says:

The Walmarts in my area have recently undergone some changes. I am not really a big Walmart fan, but will go there for all my sewing and craft supplies. One of the Super Walmarts carries no fabric and very little craft supplies now. I found that out only after driving the 25 miles to get there. The other Super had a limited selection. But the regular size Walmart (my favorite!) has a full selection! There is a huge table full of the cheaper priced fabric and a bunch of other selections in differing prices. But everytime I am in there, someone is talking about how when the new store is built, the fabric department will be gone. I will have to drive 50 miles or order online at crazy prices!

October 12, 2010 at 8:34 am
(101) No1Twin says:

I wrote a letter to Walmart Corporate office, thanking them for taking out the fabric. I told them because of that, I rarely visit the Walmart in town anymore so they have saved me a ton of money! I also said in my letter that now that I have to travel out of town to get my fabric, I hit the Target or Kohl’s for my needs. Then thanked them for giving their customers so much consideration! Hope they get the hint!!

October 13, 2010 at 8:54 am
(102) Jan says:

I was in the WalMart in Tulare CA, and in the craft department, there was a table stocked with bolts of fabric selling for $5.00/bolt. Maybe this is a hook to see if people are really interested in bringing fabric back. I checked through it, but most was stretchy polyester I wouldn’t ever use. Too bad, I’d like to surport the return of fabric, but I’m not gong to buy something I will never use.

October 15, 2010 at 1:10 pm
(103) Anne says:

In Port Elgin, Ontario, Canada there is a Walmart Superstore. The store is only a year old and when it opened there was a sewing isle with needles, thread, gagets, etc. and “Fat Quarters” but no bolts of fabric. The bolts are gone from all the other Walmart Stores too. However, recently, fabric has been showing up but what would you do with a chunk of fabric – no size on the label or what the material is made of. These fabrics run in sizes of about 3 ft x 3ft, and then there are the bigger chunks about 5ft.x 5ft. In canada we measure in metric so I may have the measurement wrong. The bigger chunks are synthetic, very thick and could be used for upholstery. I miss fabric at Walmart as does every one else. When I need fabric I have to drive 30 minutes at least to a fabric store and there is usually only one in the town I drive to. My wish is for Walmart to start selling fabric again!

October 26, 2010 at 7:42 pm
(104) Trish says:

I’m in Leamington, Ontario. Our Walmart fabric is gone too. So are microfleece and flannel pj’s and nighties I need for my invalid mil, but that’s another story. I could at one time at least buy the fabric at Walmart and make the needed items. No longer.

We have one quilt shop in town but nothing else. I have to drive 40 miles into Windsor to dig through a messy, dirty, ill-stocked Fabricland with impolite staff or consider going across to Detroit which isn’t something I’m comfortable doing.

Walmart, we want a fabric department again. And please while you are at it, stock nightwear for old ladies, not just tween/teen somethings.

Thanks

November 1, 2010 at 11:36 am
(105) April says:

myrtle beach , s.c. store on 501 has great craft section

November 5, 2010 at 4:31 pm
(106) judierudie says:

Isn’t it funny that after they shrunk the departments in some stores that now the piles if fleece etc. are piled to the ceiling and there’s no room for the fabric that comes in. I am thankful that it is still there-especially as they drove Joannes and Hancock out.

November 10, 2010 at 1:37 am
(107) Lisa says:

The WalMart in Bristol, PA still has a fabric department. Nothing better than finding fabric for $2 or less a yard.

November 16, 2010 at 1:47 pm
(108) not happy says:

It is the same in Illinois. We moved here from Texas for my husbands job before walmart stoped selling fabric. I am very disappointed that they have stoped selling it because the regular fabric stores are way overpriced and too far away. Yes one of ours has started carrying the little cheesy one yard fabric kits that are useless unless you want to make everything you make look like a quilt. Btw, I like quilts but don’t want my drapes or comforters looking like one and who wants to carry a purse with their crappy “kit” colors? Anyway, I will stop shopping at walmart because it is all about the almighty shrinking dollar to them and not about the people anymore. I wish Sam Walton was still around!!!!!! Greedy ba****ds

November 17, 2010 at 3:57 pm
(109) Sarah says:

The Walmart in Marietta, GA on Cobb Pkwy has a fabric department.

November 19, 2010 at 9:39 am
(110) MJ says:

We have a New Walmart in my area. They have dedicated space now for Groceries etc. Needless to say the Sewing / Notions department is minimal. The fabric they are selling takes very little space as they are Quilting Charm Packs. With this economy hopefully garment sewing will come back into vogue.
Walmart really missed the boat on this one

November 28, 2010 at 9:24 pm
(111) Karen Law says:

It’s a shame what Walmart has done to sewists everywhere.

December 12, 2010 at 5:46 pm
(112) joan says:

I was told by a walmart employee that Walmart make arrangement with Jo-ann Fabrics not to sell fabric in any of their Walmart stores. This means the only place in some areas is Jo-ann Fabrics. This is stupid considering that Walmart had the best prices on their fabrics.

January 2, 2011 at 8:14 pm
(113) Tina Davis says:

I have noticed that the Walmart at Memorial and Admiral in Tulsa, OK, has remodeled the fabric area and now there is very little yarn available for sale. This Walmart used to have a good selection of yarn but I guess with the discontinuance of the fabric department, yarn is no longer important to them. I’m very disappointment. While there is a Hobby Lobby a few miles from me, Hobby Lobby often times didn’t have near the selection of colors of Red Heart yarn that Walmart did. Yarn is also much more expensive at Hobby Lobby than it is at Walmart. I’m going to make a trip to the Super Center to see if they are still selling yarn and if it is on sale so I can stock up in the colors that I use a lot. I may go to all three SCs on Memorial if yarn is on sale. I sent a comment to Walmart via their website about being disappointed that they are discontinuing their fabric department and will no longer carry a large selection of yarn. I’ll be shocked if I receive any feedback from Walmart.

January 6, 2011 at 12:28 pm
(114) Edith says:

I have shopped walmart for years..but its getting very fustrating to go to ur store in my city and find out they have ran out or no longer carry the fabric i have always purchased.. all i get told is the person incharge of the ordering refuses to order anymore fabric until they sell more of the other fabrics.. let me tell u this ok?..i have a business where i need the fabrics in stock all the time it makes me veryyyyy upset to go to ur store and they havent reodered what has ran out. if they run out shouldnt that be a clue that its a hot seller?… i’m talking about nfl teams baseball teams and mba teams…duhhhhhhh!..reorder it isnt hard geeshhhhh! it’s costing me more to go to other stores to find what i need .. i quit going to kmart because they quit selling fabrics. bring it back to ur stores all stores infact…ur only cutting ur throat here… there will always be crafters but if u think ur sells are down now..just wait keep doing what ur doing and it will get worse. i spend alot in ur store so why not do whats right bye us?…bring back all fabrics in ur store or go backrupt!..i quit shopping at kmart when they took out theyer craft area and i will walmart as well hancock fabrics is a great store… u use to be. listen to us cause its upsetting that we have to go thru all this stress just to get a better deal… its better for me to maybe pay alittle more knowing i can count on a store who cares about theyer customers… i shop at ur store cause i am on a limted income and ur cost fits my budget. but if u cant help us as a customer, why should we trade at ur store?..bottom line walmart get ur act together or close ur stores.

January 6, 2011 at 7:34 pm
(115) Mindy says:

I have noticed the Walmart in my area getting lots of new fabric. I am so excited because they happen to be really cute prints.

January 8, 2011 at 6:07 pm
(116) Marion says:

I lived in Lake Havasu for 19 yrs. Wal-Mart decided to build a supermarket store. We lucked out as they were not going to have fabric but we only had one other store with fabric in town. Moved to Kingman, AZ and lucked out again. They carried fabric. They sell $5 a bolt but the fabric isn’t that good. Can you believe we have a dept store (J. C. Penny) with no shopping carts? Everything has to be carried over your are? Thank goodness for Wal-Mart.

January 22, 2011 at 11:14 pm
(117) cynthia says:

I and my daughter go to walmart to buy fabrics all the time this would be a great loss and could change the way I shop.

January 24, 2011 at 7:37 pm
(118) Kat says:

I was visiting my Mother in Okemos Michigan back in November of 2010 and they have a huge fabric area in that store. When we called the main Walmart help desk number they told us they had a fabric store there but it would be closing in six months. So when we arrived I asked the attendents/supervisor of the sewing area about it. She said it is official, that whatever stores were still carrying fabric would continue to do so, that they WERE NOT getting out of fabric. I live in Traverse City Michigan and when that store became a Super Store they removed the fabric section from it. It has not returned. But if your local Walmart was one of the ones that still has fabric it will continue to have fabric. They are not getting out of fabric. Whether they expand it back to the stores they already removed it from probably depends on competition in that area. In Traverse City there is a huge Joann Fabrics a mile or so away. At many other locations there are no fabric stores of any kind, so they probably do a really good business in those locations and we continue to do so. :>)

January 30, 2011 at 3:55 pm
(119) squiggyflop says:

my local walmart has started selling a variety of fabrics. however they only sell them in 5$ bolts of 5 yards of fabric. which is still a lot cheaper than going to jo-anns..

February 14, 2011 at 6:38 pm
(120) Ela says:

Just found out from a friend that a local WalMart does carry fabric, even Winnie the POOH

March 10, 2011 at 1:15 pm
(121) JC says:

I found this about about 2 years ago-though I’ve been reading from other sites, blogs, etc., that (at least) the talk of WM closing/phasing out their fabric departments has been going on for about 4 years. I live in a major suburban area. I was told by the fabric manager in summer 09 that there dept would be gone in 18 months…and it is. AFTER they eliminated it, they remodeled it. Another nearby WM got rid of there’s about 4 years ago. The closet one to my job is phasing there’s out as I write.

What I did 2 years ago (and am trying to do the same thing now) is to get them to donate fabric, notions whatever they can to nonprofits that I belong to. WM LOVES to donate–just check out their corporate website.

In summer 09, I was able to get (out of the first WM mentioned) 2 donations of about $200.00 worth of fabric, notions, etc. off the bat on the first time asking! That was for a non profit sewing lounge that I volunteer for.

Now I’m trying to get the WM near my job to donate fabric for a local 4-H club. I already have a letter (on letterhead) ready and now I’m just waiting for the Assistant Store Manager to get back with me.

So ladies and gentleman, that may be the BEST way to take advantage of this situation. I feel that the sewers and crafters that will be hurt over the whole thing are BEGINNERS and YOUTH.

Yes, WM isn’t for advanced seamstresses, but if you’re a teacher, beginner, or someone that hadn’t sewn in decades, but recently re-entered (like me), the WM fabric is the best start because if you mess up, you’re not out of alot of dough. :-)

March 10, 2011 at 1:33 pm
(122) JC says:

DITTO on Kat (from Michigan’s) comment:

“…if your local Walmart was one of the ones that still has fabric it will continue to have fabric. They are not getting out of fabric.”

The three Wal-Marts I referred to (2 in Prince George’s county, MD and one in Northern VA–these are surburban DC suburbs) ARE NOT converting into “Super stores.”

They HAD FABRIC and decided to ELIMINATE (the Northern VA one is doing so now so they’re in the process of phasing out) THE ENTIRE FABRIC DEPARTMENT.

And they ARE NOT converting to a superstore. We have no superstores in suburban MD or Northern VA (no WM’s in the city of Washington, DC).

The only reason why I even know about the superstore concept is that for 16 years, I lived in Atlanta and had a friend in Clarksville, TN. They have a few superstores there. Also, going up and down Interstate 85 for nearly 20 years, I’ve seen the superstores off the Interstate…but that’s only A DREAM for us.

Just wanted the readers to know that the statement is probably either limited to her part of Michigan, the state of Michigan, or selected states.

**So in summary, the statement about “if” they had fabric, they will CONTINUE to carry fabric is not true in The Washington, DC, suburban Maryland, Northern Virginia cities, and even the Baltimore, MD area (WM is phasing out in Baltimore/Anne Arundal county, MD, Baltimore county areas)….and it MAY NOT HOLD TRUE IN YOUR AREA.**

I noticed most superstores ARE NOT in the mid-Atlantic region of the country. Many are south, southwest, midwest and further. :-)

April 5, 2011 at 7:57 pm
(123) Linda Dion says:

I live in a small town in western NH and we have a super wal-mart and they still have fabric dept. and we’re told they will continue to carry it. I have found fabric there that I couldn’t get at Joann’s fabric’s. So some wal-marts are still in the fabric business. Our store received fabric from many of their other stores.

April 11, 2011 at 3:54 pm
(124) NANCY says:

I USE TO GET MOST OF MY CRAFT SUPPLIES AT WAL-MART AND THE FABRIC. BUT YOUR NEW AND IMPROVED SELF’S TOOK ALL THE FABRIC OUT AND MOST OF THE CRAFT SUPPLIES OUT. THE WAY I SEE IT, ALL WALMART WANT’S IS THE MONEY, THEY DON’T CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE THAT MR. SAM THOUGHT OF. SHAME ON YOU.

April 22, 2011 at 7:54 am
(125) Carol R says:

I received this email from Customer Service in March 2011 in response to my complaint about the removal of fabrics.
It is, at least, going in the right direction.

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the fabric department in your local store. As with any merchandise decision that we make, we have based our decision to reduce the stitching and fabric departments on customer demand, which does not appear to be as high today for a full stitching and fabric offering in some markets as it may have been at Walmart in the past.

In keeping with our emphasis on being a store of the community, Walmart is converting the fabrics and crafts department in some stores to a newly expanded assortment of merchandise that focuses on life’s celebrations. We are thrilled to offer our customers this exciting new crafts and celebrations center that makes available craft and party planning needs along with information on current trends and new ideas in the area of life’s celebrations, such as holidays, weddings and birthdays.

In those stores where the new crafts and celebrations center is placed, merchandise commonly referred to as ‘notions’ will be included in the product offerings – such as sewing machines, yarn, needles, thread, etc. As a part of this conversion, most of our new and remodeled stores that opened earlier this year, as well as a small number of existing stores, will feature the new crafts and celebrations center in place of bolt fabrics. Walmart will continue to carry cut fabric in most of our stores. Due to the continued evaluation of our stores, we are unable to share a list of existing stores scheduled to receive the new crafts and celebrations center at this time.

Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Care

April 28, 2011 at 6:58 pm
(126) Susie says:

I talked to the clerk in the fabric department of my Wal-Mart…they are getting ready to remodel..I ask how much longer we would have fabric and she told me that they have decided to keep the fabric department instead of doing away with it during the remodel. Yea! I call them all the time complaining. A group of ladies from Tx went to Bentonville and protested the removal of their fabric department in their little town..they got it back!

May 6, 2011 at 8:20 pm
(127) Gladys Hisel says:

What a shame to drive 50 miles to get one yard of fabric. I fell Wal-marts is not supplying the need of the people in this town. Get with it children of Mr. Walton. I have met him and he was a great person. The children need to think what the community needs.

June 26, 2011 at 11:32 am
(128) Rose says:

We have 5 Walmarts within Fort Wayne, IN. Some care no fabric, others carry the pre-cut 1 or 2 yard pieces. Sorry Walmart but when you quit carrying fabric, I quit shopping at your store. The fruits and meats are not good quality. I can go elsewhere and get better quality. The fabric department is what brought me to your store and kept me there. I won’t be back until the fabrick returns.

June 28, 2011 at 2:02 pm
(129) jojo sew says:

You said it Rose!

June 28, 2011 at 2:05 pm
(130) jojo sew says:

You would think at least one of the five Fort Wayne Wamarts would have a decent fabric selection especially since Decatur, IN, just 30 mintes away, has at least a modest inventory of bolts with some fair prices.

September 18, 2011 at 9:38 am
(131) NancyR says:

I hope this is true that WAlmart is bringing the Fabric
back. I have to go 1/2 hour away to JoAnns,where as Super
Walmart is 10min. away.

September 18, 2011 at 3:57 pm
(132) Becky says:

I just got a flyer that Wal-mart now has fabric in over 2,000 locations. I live in central Indiana and would like to see where in Indiana we might have a store.

September 19, 2011 at 7:54 pm
(133) Arkansas bummed says:

the only reason cut the fabric dept. and downsized others is because of labor cost and so far of what I have seen in the stores I will still go to Hancocks or JoAnns Fabric the quality is better.

September 28, 2011 at 11:39 am
(134) Glenda says:

The Concord #1027 now has fabric as well as the Kannapolis Walmart. I would guess that more will be coming and the fabric looks nicer then before it was “taken away”!

September 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm
(135) Beverly McCullough says:

The wal-mart by my house in Ft Worth, 76133 has just started putting fabrics back in! I checked it out before they even set it up and saw all the fabrics still plastic wrapped, setting up the display racks, etc.! Today 9-29-11 started to get excited this might really be happening! Yay, Wal-mart!

October 2, 2011 at 5:47 pm
(136) Deena says:

My Mom called me last week stating that in the local newspaper that WalMart was bringing back fabric, that is good news there is only one other fabric store near us and it is so expensive you can’t afford to buy it. It would be great if this is true.

October 19, 2011 at 1:15 pm
(137) MARY WILSON. says:

WALMART STORE ON GANDY BLVD IN TAMPA DOES CARRY FABRIC. THE ONLY BAD THING IS THAT IT IS PACKAGED AND YOU HAVE TO BUY THE WHOLE PKG. YOU CANNOT BUY IT BY THE YARD AND THIS BECOMES VERY EXPENSIVE. PLEASE WALMART BRING BACK THE GOOD DAYS OF ON THE BOLT AGAIN. I AM A QUILTER AND WOULD REALLY LOVE TO SEE IT ALL COME BACK AGAIN. WHAT A GREAT DAY THAT WILL BE FOR ALL OF US THAT LOVE TO SEW.

October 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm
(138) MARY WILSON. says:

IT IS SO SAD THAT YOU PEOPLE TOOK OUT ALL THE FABRIC DEPARTMENTS IN YOUR WALMART STORES. YOU DO HAVE IT AGAIN AT THE GANDY BLVD STORE IN TAMPA, FL. THE ONLY THING IS . IT REALLY GETS EXPENSIVE BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO BY IT PACKAGED AND NOT BY THE YARD ANY MORE. PLEASE PUT IT BACK IN FOR PEOPLE BY THE HUNDREDS WHO LOVE TO SEW LIKE MY SELF ALL OVER THE USA. PLEASE BRING IT BACK AGAIN.

December 3, 2011 at 2:41 am
(139) sewing machines says:

Someone essentially lend a hand to make critically articles I would state. That is the very first time I frequented your website page and up to now? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular put up extraordinary. Great job!

February 12, 2012 at 5:43 pm
(140) Nancy says:

Please put Fabric back in the York Store. I have to travel 25 miles now to Seward to buy fabric. I can’t afford the high price fabric stores. So many of my friends were very unhappy when York, Ne. closed out their fabric dept. Because of that many of us quit shopping there for other things.

February 25, 2012 at 8:38 am
(141) Linda Hairfield says:

While waiting for the new Walmart in Powhatan VA. I would like to know if there will be a fabric department. This Walmart will be before JoAnn’s and Hancock’s for those of us in Powhatan that like to quilt/sew/crafts. It would be much better to shop at Walmart in Powhatan VA than to travel into Midlothian, VA. There are alot of quilters and craft people in Powhatan, VA. CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!

April 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm
(142) g2you says:

I was in Walmart in Millington, TN, yesterday and was surprised to see that they are in the process of bringing back their fabric department. They had the patterns out in racks and 2-3 dozen bolts of fabric out so far, with quite a bit of cleared out area. It was still a work in progress.

June 27, 2012 at 5:58 pm
(143) sandi says:

Walmart in Swansea Mass returned to selling loads and loads of materials.

Great deals, great fabric and so many colors and styles, patterns to chose from. I am in Material Heaven.

Sandi Ruscetta

Rehoboth, Mass

October 22, 2012 at 5:04 am
(144) Vivi says:

Some of the early comments mentions fabrics for 1.50 pr yard. Sounds like a dream! I’m used to prizes like 24-25…
Wish I was there!
Vivi

January 8, 2013 at 2:20 pm
(145) Jeannieb says:

Why doesn’t someone start a boycot of walmart if you are sew uphappy
that they took the fabric sections out. If people did not go and buy anything for one day only one day. I bet walmart would take notice and bring the fabric back.

They took it out of our walmart. I can go to Texarkana to Hancock’s or Hobby lobby. I can and do shop at any other store besides walmart.

one person doesn’t much make a dent but think of what a huge hole
a movement to boycot walmart til they brought back the fabric would make.
Each person can decide where they want to shop and spend there money. Walmart has forgotten the customer is always right. they
think you have to buy only what they want to sell. Well I don’t have to
I can go else where and do!!!

March 17, 2013 at 6:25 pm
(146) Dot says:

Just moved to the Brownsville , PA area and the Walmart there has fabric….YAHOO! I did hear it from a manager that the fabric is coming back to Walmart, Those pre-cut fabrics are really ugly and pricy

May 21, 2013 at 1:15 pm
(147) arlene says:

I typed in walmarts with fabric for the state of Alabama. Discovered Montgomery and Wetumpka have it.

August 16, 2013 at 11:28 am
(148) Gayla says:

How do you find out where the stores that carry Fabric’s are in Illinois