Make An Eye Glass Case
Here's an economical project to make from your scraps and a great personalized gift. Choose fabric that fits the person or use machine embroidery techniques to make any fabric just perfect!
- Print out of pattern
- 8" by 9" piece of firm fabric for the exterior of the case. If you are using a fabric that is light weight, apply a layer of fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric to add stiffness.
- 8" by 9" piece of Fleece, heavy terry cloth, velours or other soft fabric for the interior of the case
1. Using the fold line of the pattern as the grain line, cut out one of each fabric.
2. Pin wrong sides together along the curved edge. Stitch using 1/2" seam allowance.
3. Grade Seam, leaving the fashion fabric seam allowance a bit wider then the lining.
4. Press seam to allow for a crisp turn. Understitch on the lining side.
5. Stitch along long edge from the graded seam to the large dot, using a 1/2" seeam allowance. Trim the seam allowance.
6. Match lining to lining and fashion fabric to fashion fabric. Stitch around the entire edge, using 1/2" seam allowance, leaving the seam un-sewn between the small dots to allow for turning. Pivot at the intersection of the top side seam that was previously sewn and trimmed.
7. Trim seams and turn right sides out. Take care to turn all corners out.
8. Slip stitch the lining closed
9. Push the lining into the fashion fabric and press.
Dress It Up Ideas:
- Use piping in the seams as you construct the case. Covering Cording and Piping
- Use embroidery to personalize the case. Machine Embroidery Net Links
- Create your own fabric to make the case with. More Information
- Applique a special design on plain fabric before you assemble the case. Applique Net Links