On the Lining -
- Measure 3 1/2" down and centered on one side of the lining, down from the top edge.
- Draw a 9" line placing 4 1/2" of the line on each side of the center marking.
- Draw a line 1/4" inch from the first line on both sides of the original line and end lines at the end of original line, to form a rectangle around the first line that you drew.
- Using short sewing machine stitches (without puckering the fabric) sew along the rectangle lines, pivoting at the corners to keep the stitching continuous.
- Cut the center line, cutting triangles at both ends of the rectangle, just to the corner stitching.
- Press the slit sections, to the wrong side of the fabric, along the stitching lines.
- Center the zipper in the opening on the wrong side of the fabric. Stitch the zipper in place, sewing as close as possible to the pressed edges of the rectangle.
- Finish the edges on the 10" by 6" lining fabric piece that was cut for the inside pocket.
- Place the 10" by 6" piece on the wrong side of the lining behind the zipper, placing the top edge of the pocket piece just above the top zipper tape and even from the top edge of the lining.
- Pin in place and stitch the edges of the pocket piece in place. Sew a second row of stitching, just inside the first row of stitching for extra strength if desired.
This same type of pocket can be created by following the step by step pocket instructions
shown in detail for the Free Sew Your Own Every Day Style Handbag Pattern