These directions are designed to save you the expense of new pillows. Use them as "slip covers" for your throw pillows.
Time Required: 15 minutes to One Hour
- Materials needed:
Note: The cutting directions do not add a seam allowance so that the finished pillow cover is a little smaller than the form and creates a "plump" pillow instead of any empty space.
- Fabric needed for standard sizes
- 12" Pillow - Fabric 12" by 28"
- 14" Pillow - Fabric 14" by 32"
- 16" Pillow - Fabric 16" by 36"
- 18" Pillow - Fabric 18" by 40"
- For a 12" pillow mark your fabric 8" in on the longest edges.
- For a 14" pillow mark your fabric 9" in on the longest edges.
- For a 16" pillow mark your fabric 10" in on your longest edge
- For an 18 " pillow mark your fabric 11" in on your longest edge
- Fold each end under 1/4" and then turn under 1/4" again, to form a neat baby hem.
- Neatly top stitch the hem into place.
- Fold your fabric, right sides together at the markings you made on the long edge. There should be a 3 1/2" overlap for the back side of your pillow.
- Sew the sides with the raw edges, using 1/2" seams and finish the seam on the raw edges.
- Press and turn right side out.
- Make these covers in holiday themed fabric to have a collection for all the holidays. This is an inexpensive way to change your throw pillows for every holiday.