A simple way to change the look of the room or add variety is to changing your throw pillows. Here's simple directions for changing the look of your throw pillows.
Time Required: Approximately 30 Minutes
- Measure your existing pillow, add 1/2" to all edge measurements.
- Cut two pieces of fabric, one for the front and one for the back, using the measurements established in the previous step.
- With the right sides together, line up the edges of your fabric.
- Begin sewing in the middle of one side edge, using 1/2" seam allowances.
- Turn at each corner and stop stitching on the side you started sewing, leaving an opening wide enough to stuff your pillow cover.
- Turn the cover right side out.
- Insert the existing pillow or pillow form.
- Push the pillow into the corners and smooth your pillow.
- Slip stitch the opening closed.
- Make a diagonal stitch at each corner. This will prevent protruding corners.
- When you begin stitching, stitch from the edge of the seam allowance in to the seam line, then turn and stitch. This will helps the un-stitched seam allowance turn in smoothly.
- If you are stuffing your own pillow, use small pieces at a time of good quality stuffing, for a smooth finished product.
- Be sure to see Simple Envelope Pillow Cover for an easy to sew, removable pillow cover that is easy to remove and launder.
What You Need
- A sewing machine and a needle and thread to hand sew the pillow
- Fabric - amount will vary on the size of your pillow
- A used throw pillow or a pillow form
- Measuring equipment