The Bottom Line
- Excellent photos accompany text directions.
- Contrasting fabrics make photos easy to see details.
- Luxury fabrics and techniques to sew them are detailed.
- Hidden details in garment making are revealed.
- Couture tools are explained and shown.
- Some techniques assume some basic sewing skills.
- Glossary defines terms but sues not detail procedure involved.
- The Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques by Lynda Maynard, ISBN: 978-1-59668-247-4
- A spiral bound, hard covered book that will lay flat and stay open.
- Easy to follow step-by-step directions for the many sewing techniques describe in the book.
- Photo intense easy to follow directions.
- Descriptive table of contents and thorough index make it easy to find an area of interest.
- Comparison photos for things like backing silk velvet, make it possible to see the results for various backings.
- Techniques entailed as couture can be applied to many garment applications.
- A great resource for DIY fashions and revamping ready to wear clothing.
- Learn the details that create runway clothing through the techniques entailed throughout this book.
- A great resource to enhance basic skills, enhancing patterns and to start creating your own designs.
Guide Review - The Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques by Lynda Maynard
Once I am done with a quick browsing of the book, I settle down to actually read the book. Starting this book with the introduction is a not to be missed step. The introduction keys in on how the author started sewing as a child and how the thought process progresses from a pillow case to truly couture sewing techniques for professional results that are far from a little girl running around wearing a pillowcase with holes cut in it to make it "wearable".