The Purpose of Stitch Width Adjustments:
- Stitch width adjustments allow you to vary the width of the stitch. This adjustment became available with zigzag capabilities being built into sewing machines.
- The maximum width available varies with the sewing machine. Refer to your sewing machine manual and practice making adjustment on a scrap of fabric before sewing on your project.
Using Stitch Width Adjustments for Needle Position:
- Some sewing machines offer you left, right and center needle positions, but you can adjust those settings by making adjustments in the stitch width.
- Most electronic machines have needle position built in to the stitch width adjustment. Adjusting the stitch width changes the needle position on a straight stitch. Where the needle falls in alignment with the presser foot changes with the stitch width adjustment.
- Experiment with needle position when you are setting seam guides.
Decorative Stitching with Stitch Width Adjustments:
- Decorative stitches take on a drastically different look by making the stitches wider. Experiment on scrap material and always check your sewing machine manual to know your sewing machine options.