A simple line of stitching can prevent the fraying from going beyond where you want it.
- Mark the jeans to the length you want the shorts. (Measure from the floor all the way around the leg to have a straight hem.)
- Cut the jeans off leaving a couple inches extra to fray. You can always cut more off but you can't sew it back on and have the original look.
- Sew a straight line of stitching around the edge at the desired length of the shorts.
- Start pulling out the threads from the cut edge below the stitching.
- Comb out the treads and trim off those that stay attached.
- Wash and dry the shorts for the finished effect.
- Trim wandering treads of fraying for the desired effect but leave the line of stitching in tact to prevent the fraying from going further. [/ul]